whale shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best time to go to isla Holbox for snorkeling with whale sharks.
According to some websites the whale shark season starts in June and end in early September, my question is when is the best time to have a 100% chance to encounter this creatures within this time frame?
At the start of season in the middle or towards the end?

Spratman:
I believe Ben told me April through July. Contact him directly at www.mayanaquadive.com. He can give you a better idea this I can.

Ben told me that the best time was Aug and Sep. these are also the two months when you usually get to see manta rays. april and may are pretty bad. actually i tried to go with Ben in May and none of the boat captains were willing to take us because they felt they would have to search long and hard with no guarantee of success.

Whale Sharks are definitely guaranteed to be seen in the Isla Holbox area in Mxcio from now til Sept. It's AWESOME!!!:D As yo drive into the area where they are known to be you begin to see many fins about 3 foot tall stiicking out of the water. There's so many of them you MUST slow down the boat or you'll run over one and destroy your boats engines (while your 80 miles offshore)! I do these trips every year and YES I guarantee 100% to see at least 10-20 whalesharks right now. :wink:

docmartin:
Ben told me that the best time was Aug and Sep. these are also the two months when you usually get to see manta rays. april and may are pretty bad. actually i tried to go with Ben in May and none of the boat captains were willing to take us because they felt they would have to search long and hard with no guarantee of success.

I'm hoping we'll see 'em, but as Alcina said, there are no guarantees. But I can take diving in 85 degree water....:D

Last year I was down and it was the first time I hit a thermocline down there! It dropped from like 82 to 76. Doesn't sound like much until you're in it....:11doh: As a matter of fact, the quarry was that warm up here!

Dive safe!

paulpost:
What is the best time to go to isla Holbox for snorkeling with whale sharks.
According to some websites the whale shark season starts in June and end in early September, my question is when is the best time to have a 100% chance to encounter this creatures within this time frame?
At the start of season in the middle or towards the end?
Hi Paul
Of course with animals, there are no guarantees, but it’s as close as it gets if you go July and August.
Official season is June through September, but if you travel there within these two months, it’s almost certain.

It is absolutely worth the trip.

Everyone I know who went in July and August the last three years (including this season so far) has had amazing experiences.

Best of luck

- Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom