Whale Shark update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueResort

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All

I did promise that after our Whale Shark season I would put something on the boards about what we are doing.

This year we had one of the best seasons we have ever had, which is quite amazing as the next stop on their migration is Belize and on the last few years they have been down on sightings so I am told.

We are working very closely with www.ecocean.org to build up a worldwide database of Whale Sharks where they can be recognized from their spot patterns. So if anyone has any photo of their own we would love to hear.

We photographed over 60 Whale Sharks and had some great encounters on the way with Manta Rays and Silky Sharks.

This is something that we will be continuing over the next few years, if you would like to see some of the photos that were taken this year and read more about our Whale Shark research have a look at www.UtilaWhaleSharkResearch.com

If anyone has any questions please do contact us, we will be happy to answer any questions if we can.

Very nice, I am hoping to one day be in the water with this lovely creatures. Thanks for sharing and keeping us informed.
David

I have, I guess a strange question. Im a new diver and I still obsess over my gauges. How can you be with these creatures (this is my dream!) and pay attension to what you are doin as far as diving. I would be just out of it im sure.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi All

I did promise that after our Whale Shark season I would put something on the boards about what we are doing.

This year we had one of the best seasons we have ever had, which is quite amazing as the next stop on their migration is Belize and on the last few years they have been down on sightings so I am told.

We are working very closely with www.ecocean.org to build up a worldwide database of Whale Sharks where they can be recognized from their spot patterns. So if anyone has any photo of their own we would love to hear.

We photographed over 60 Whale Sharks and had some great encounters on the way with Manta Rays and Silky Sharks.

This is something that we will be continuing over the next few years, if you would like to see some of the photos that were taken this year and read more about our Whale Shark research have a look at www.UtilaWhaleSharkResearch.com

If anyone has any questions please do contact us, we will be happy to answer any questions if we can.
Hey DeepBlue Divers-I saw your site-over 60 whale sharks-thats an amazing population base...as a avid student of sharks :11ztongue and former marine biology researcher,I'm very curious if you've learned any thing new that you can share from your studies so far...do the same sharks keep reappearing over and over?...Well-after I've re-read your site I see that you have a whole section on Whale Shark Findings for curious types like me...Thanks,and ...Great work...Peace...Saildiver.

www.whaleshark.org

is doing the same type of database? I wonder if these organizations are working with each other or are they all competeing for donation dollars?

I don't understand the relationship between them and ecocean?

shep

Back
Top Bottom