wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Kay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Been diving a long time but age has caught up and getting colder with out a suit. I've shied away due to the difficulties getting them on and off. I see divers struggle all the time. I have old rotator cuff issues. Can you recommend wetsuits that are easy to get on and off and are of good quality? Also, is a 2 piece suite as good as a one piece? Thanks.

I have four Bare wetsuits, two old Elasteks and two of the newer Reactive suits. I love the brand for quality and fit, but have altered three of them, adding zippers in the arms and legs. The zippers have greatly improved ease of getting them on and off with shoulder, knee, and hip issues. Call Chris Summers at Terrapin Wetsuits for help.

Would you consider a drysuit? Plenty warm and easier to get into.

I have a Henderson Thermaxx 3mm. The Thermaxx wetsuits are fleece lined which make them easier to don and doff. Or at least much easier than just unlined neoprene. And I consider it quite warm. But then, I can tolerate cold water better than most people I dive with. So YMMV.

Look at Waterproof wetsuits. The coldest I've been in is 53 degs and didn't feel it at all. I went with the W4 in 5 mil with a 1.5 mil neoskin. They do run a little small so I highly recommend you try it on. I can't find any US dealers listed on their site so you'll have to check with your local dealers to see if they sell them. W4 - Waterproof Diving

Why not try a drysuit? In fact, these days i'd rather go dry if needing something more or like a 5 mm, most of my wetsuits are barely used on the last years, and, imo, drysuits are more confortable if propperly sized (including undergarment if needy)

7mm Deep 6 Wetsuit

I love my deep six 3mm. The 7mm has zippers in the cuffs to make them easier to get on. You will still have to be able to pull the back zipper above you head though if you don't have anyone to help.

I have a wrecked shoulder too, so the way I put on my wetsuit is to leave the arms inside out, put my hand into the arm hole with my thumb lined up with the inner seam, then just roll the suit up my arm. It's fast and easy.

My 3mm really needs ankle zippers because the thing just doesnt the drain. It's damn near a semi-dry suit. It also needs a pee zipper, but all that can be addded.

I don't think you will find a better deal on a wetsuit out there right now. I think the main sizes in 3mm are sold out right now, but I imagine your are looking at a 7mm anyway.

A two piece farmer john style suit doubles the neoprene on your chest, so in that regard, they are warmer. They also take a ships anchor to sink, especially when new. My 3mm Deep six is warmer than any 3mm I have dove. I suspect the 7mm would be the same and dive much warmer than other 7mm suits.

Good luck,
Jay

Look at Waterproof wetsuits. The coldest I've been in is 53 degs and didn't feel it at all. I went with the W4 in 5 mil with a 1.5 mil neoskin. They do run a little small so I highly recommend you try it on. I can't find any US dealers listed on their site so you'll have to check with your local dealers to see if they sell them. W4 - Waterproof Diving

I was looking at the w5 but couldnt really find any reviews..

How will this wetsuit help the OP with the shoulder problem getting in and out of the suit?

Back
Top Bottom