Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surface temp or at depth? Maybe one of the local guys can recommend. I used a 5mm in NC, but I don't like the cold. I use a 3mm here, with and without the hood. My booties and gloves are 5mm. If I'm going to 90+ i will use on my 5mm.

surface temp or at depth? Maybe one of the local guys can recommend. I used a 5mm in NC, but I don't like the cold. I use a 3mm here, with and without the hood. My booties and gloves are 5mm. If I'm going to 90+ i will use on my 5mm.
Ok thanks for the advice!

70°-80°F

You might want to consider this wetsuit. 2 mm, super comfortable neoprene - Yamamoto neoprene - the best material available for wetsuits. Add the optional 2 mm neoprene hood and you should be good for water down to about 70 degrees or so, if you are doing a typical recreational dive..Reversible too.. and free shipping

Camo Spearfishing Wetsuit 1-piece Yamamoto 2mm | MAKO Spearguns

M1YBG-2T.jpg

WetsuitHood Reversible Blue Camo-Green Camo | MAKO Spearguns

reversible-hood-blue-green.png

I don't have specific recommendations since what fits me around my small wrists but normal body size is pretty limited so I don't have sufficient feedback for you but in those temperatures, I would be looking at a 5mm or if you run cold, a 5mm with a hooded vest at 80F, especially after multiple days of diving, or even a full 7mm suit with hood towards the 70F mark.

This is one of those products where fit is important; may be worth trying one on and buying at a local dive shop.

Low cost is relative. I've been buying Henderson's mid-range line, Thermoprene. The added elasticity is worth something to me. I've got a 2x AquaLock hood (their higher end hood at the time), and a 2x Neosport hood (their low end hood), and on my big head, the difference is striking.

If you're an average size & build, ideal body weight kind of person, may not be a big deal. Those of us who, uh, 'aren't,' may run into problems. I've got an athletic buddy who finds wetsuits tend to be tight on his forearms for some reason (Popeye syndrome?).

Cold tolerance varies. Big, hefty guys tend to be more cold tolerant than slim, petite females, for example.

Your projected temp. has me wondering what people would prefer; a thicker shorty (e.g.: 5 mm) or a thinner full wet suit (like Mako showed you)? Shorties are easier to get on; full suits give you more protection from scrapes, jellyfish, etc...

Richard.

70 to 80F is a pretty big swing for me. I'm a tidy bowl diver (warm & blue). At 80+ I dive in a lycra skin just for a little abrasion coverage (not warmth). If I'm liveaboard diving (4 or 5 dives a day), I may pull on a 3mm shorty over the lycra. Much below 80 I'll wear a 3/2 fullsuit. Low 70s I'll pull my 3mm shorty (very stretchy Thermoprene) over my 3/2 full suit. Below that I sit at the bar and drink margaritas.:) Cold tolerance (and drink preference) is very personal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom