Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dycedon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Folks
I am looking at two wetsuits, aqualung dive flex 5mm and Cressi Castoro 5 mm, any advice on which suit would be appreciated or any suit for that matter.

I dive the aqualung dive flex 5mm in all conditions (well, I'm cold blooded and dive only between 72 degree Florida springs and 85 degree Caribbean water) and I really like it. It fits my body well, is easy to get on and off, is very well-constructed, and it does its job. Of course it's way more expensive than the Cressi, but I was able to get mine at cost from the dive shop that certified me so could not pass up that deal.

I dive the aqualung dive flex 5mm in all conditions (well, I'm cold blooded and dive only between 72 degree Florida springs and 85 degree Caribbean water) and I really like it. It fits my body well, is easy to get on and off, is very well-constructed, and it does its job. Of course it's way more expensive than the Cressi, but I was able to get mine at cost from the dive shop that certified me so could not pass up that deal.
Thanks for that Mike, i am probably leaning towards the aqualung.

I have a Cressi Castoro. They're pretty nice and fairly flexible, but Cressi wetsuits do not hold up that great to a lot of use. The seams (cuffs) are not nearly as nice as more expensive suits like Henderson or AL.

The best one is the suit that fits you the best most likely...try them on. Exposure protection is important, get it right. Fit, comfort, and suitability are more important than brand.

Whichever one fits you well (not just the best, but actually fits you well) is the best.

In general, things to look at:

- does it have wrist seals, ankle seals, a neck seal? This would be as basic as either "smooth skin" on the inside of the wrist area to something on the inside that is kind of like a big, fat rubber band.
- does it have a spine flap/pad? This would be something behind the main zipper that works like a seal to help minimize water seeping in through the zipper.
- does it have glue-and-blind stitched seams (or fully taped seams)? GBS (or taped) seams have no holes that go all the way through from one side to the other. Thus, those seams can be really waterproof. Cheaper suits often have flatlock stitching, where the holes do go all the way through from one side to the other.

A suit that fits well, has waterproof stitching, and seals at all the openings will be the warmest (compared to a suit of the same materials and thickness without all that). Many less expensive suits - and especially ones in the 3mm thickness range - don't have all those features. 5mm are more likely to have all those features, but not all of them do.

@stuartv pretty much said what I was going to say. One can spend a lot of time looking at features and reviews but at the end of the day, the one that fits you best will be better for you. I started off the same way and when I went to try things on in the pool, I realized how some fit horribly on me and how others fit incredibly well. Seals, length, etc. I felt the water going in and out one of my candidate suits and the seal around the neck and wrist were horrible. make sure you try them on! Have fun and good luck. :)

I just bought a Cressi Castoro Plus 7mm. Haven't dove it yet but fits good and isn't restrictive. I am a short stocky build, medium fit well, except the arms could be a inch shorter.

Try em all on until one fits the best! I have had good luck with Bare, but that isn't a brand thing they just seem to fit me well.

I use a Scubapro Definition IR 7mm (link) for my diving and so far it has been good from about 8C to about 14C. Did buy a 6mm vest to use over it but never felt the need.

A lot depends on what you want from the suit (how long a season you want and where you are diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom