Wetsuits for the "Clydesdale" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyhokie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I would like to pick up a wetsuit, but have a few concerns when I look at the sizing chart as provided by most manufacturers.

I am a big guy with broad shoulders. When I look at chest measurements I should be is a 3X wetsuit, but that makes the suit quite large in every other aspect, including length.

I currently rent a farmer john - and it works well, but I would like to have a one-piece wetsuit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

It sure sounds like you are heading down the custom path. That's no big deal, you can be dressed like a king for a price comparable to a top shelf stock suit.

More here.

Then again, if that rental suit works you could try the same brand & size in a full suit. There a lot of details that are not represented in the few sizing measurements and sizes/proportions vary between brands.

Pete

I can relate. Just to do my certification dives I had to get a custom as there was no way anything was going to even come close to fitting me. If deep down (no pun intended) you believe scuba is really for you, a custom suit will pay back in dividends with comfort and better warmth.

There have been a couple threads about different places that do customs. This year, I needed a new suit, and I ended up with a Wetwear. Everything I expected, and I have no regrets. Yeah, it sucks that folks can just walk in and buy some closeout off the rack for pennies on the dollar of what you and I will spend, but it is what it is....

I'm sorry to hear that this is an issue. A bit frustrating. Not all of us are monster huge or teenie tiny.

Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to get a farmer john of my own for now. I'm hoping a local shop has Henderson in stock for me to try on.

We'll see what happens!

Not sure how tall you are but I have a dry suit I got in with a bunch of used gear that only has about 10 fresh water dives on it and was custom made for a short but BIG dude. Very nice Dive Concepts custom suit complete with gloves, boots, and undersuit.

I'm 6' tall. I'm not a dry suit diver, but could learn. :)

I wouldn't consider myself a "BIG dude" - just bigger than average.

Unless you have an "off the shelf" body, an off the shelf DUI isn't going to keep you as warm as a custom suit.

If really like my custom 7 mm FJ from AquaFlite. Www.aquaflite.com

The cost was about the same as off the shelf, the fit was awesome and it took less than a week to be sent to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a great conversation with AquaFlite today. I will probably be doing business with them. The "issue" is the suit is almost 2x as much as the "deal" I can get on Henderson for the next week or so.

its not a "deal" of the fit isn't right.....

And the AquaFlite is a much hardier and warmer material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom