Wetsuits: 'Fit' vs Comfort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This topic came up in another thread, but I wanted to give it its own thread to get some input. In almost any thread that comes up about wetsuits, the response is always to get what 'fits.' But what does fit mean? In my own experience with wetsuit shopping, I am usually told by the LDS that I should wear a size small. The problem is that despite the LDS telling me it looks like it 'fits' great, I feel miserable with it on. Like I am going to be squeezed to death. Imminently. I typically buy a size up, and end up with a suit that may not 'fit' exactly right, but is 1000x more comfortable.

So I am curious if anyone else has this dilemma when buying a wetsuit, where 'fit' and comfort don't seem to meet exactly? When is 'fit' more important than comfort, and when is comfort more important than 'fit'?

Fit and comfort go hand in hand. If it does not fit right, you will not be comfortable; if you are not comfortable, then it does not fit right. Even if a suit looks right on you, if you are not comfortable in it, then it is not the right suit for you. Getting the right fit and comfort level can mean going through several suits, even having different tops and bottoms (in a 2 piece design). A wetsuit should feel gently snug all around without restricting breathing or motion. Literally like a 2nd skin. In many ways, it is more subjective than objective. Just because a suit should fit you doesn't mean it really does.
Safe Diving,
George

concur with above, fit only matters when you are underwater- none of my suits are comfortable on land, but are great in the water. If it keeps you warm underwater with no pinches or restrictions then it fits you fine and the "size" isn't all that important

I actually disagree with that. I spend enough time in my wetsuit on land, that an uncomfortable wetsuit would be a nightmare. It could also easily lead to an early stressor, which is a very bad way to start a dive. This is really what I am talking about in this thread. A wetsuit should not only be comfortable underwater. This all becomes magnified the thicker the wetsuit. Standing in a 7mm fullsuit in 70F weather, waiting to get in the water, is hard enough. But if the suit was uncomfortable to begin with, then it becomes intolerable.

... fit only matters when you are underwater- none of my suits are comfortable on land, but are great in the water. ...

Last edited:
I actually disagree with that. I spend enough time in my wetsuit on land, that an uncomfortable wetsuit would be a nightmare. It could also easily lead to an early stressor, which is a very bad way to start a dive. This is really what I am talking about in this thread. A wetsuit should not only be comfortable underwater. This all becomes magnified the thicker the wetsuit. Standing in a 7mm fullsuit in 70F weather, waiting to get in the water, is hard enough. But if the suit was uncomfortable to begin with, then it becomes intolerable.

I have to agree with Paco II on this. When I was giving the advice, it never occured to me that it would just mean underwater. I meant it for both above and below the water. Anything that can increase pre dive stress should be avoided if at all possible.
Safe Diving,
George

A good fit should be comfortable. The fit is to make sure you stay warm (assuming it's a wet suit), if it's a wrong fit... why wear a wetsuit at all! Comfort is important too, sometimes it just takes getting used to wearing a wetsuit, most of us don't wear such fit comforming articles of clothing. But different brands do have different comfort levels, I tried on lots of wetsuits before I decided on one that seem to have a little more give.

And I think most wetsuits are designed for "standard" body shapes... many women end up with a man's wetsuit that isn't really a perfect fit for our shape. I'm not a small, petite woman so I had to go to a man's wetsuit.

My last comment is that if you aren't comfortable it can cause all kinds of problems when diving. You are distracted when uncomfortable. Even my thin husband has had problems with velcro'd neck straps and it didn't help his diving at all!

A made-to-fit wetsuit might be an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom