Wetsuit stretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceanrealm

Reaction score
Hello divers!
I am still trying to buy my first suit - no luck yet.
I tried Parkway Titanium, Parkway Pyrostretch, SeaQuest IsoFlex, Bare Arctic and Bare Arctic SGS. None fits really well.
I liked Bare Arctic SGS - so smooth and cool looking though :)
Some people in LDS say that none of the new wetsuits would fit well but once in the water it will stretch up to 10%!!!!

Is that correct?
I kinda doubt about it.

Peter. :confused:

What people at LDS told is that a wtsuit will stretch right after the first time I get into the water!
Is this correct?

Peter.

Neoprene will probably loosen up a bit when it gets wet. As to how much it stretches initially, I don't really know. I don't seem to recall that my first wetsuit stretched significantly when I used it for the first time.

The suit may stretch some but mainly it will redistribute itself on your body better when you get the layer of water in it.

When I first get suited up my suit always binds and feels stretched, then when I get some water in it the seams line up and the suit moves around so that it feels great.

I think that this is common right?

Hello,

Your LDS might have been talking about how wetsuits feel less snug when wet and once you descend: water pressure will cause the neoprene to compress and become somewhat thinner and loosen up somewhat. When you ascend, the neoprene will expand about back to it's original size (drying will complete the expansion). With time and use, the neoprene will break down and stay compressed, so be sure to follow directions for taking care of our suit (rinsing, drying out of the sun, storing on a wide-shoulder hanger, not storing heavy or pointy items on top of it, etc.). Your wetsuit may last a hundred or even hundreds of dives before needing to be replaced.

Your LDS and wetsuit manufacturer websites may describe how a suit should fit when trying it on dry in the shop. Dry, the suit may feel a little too snug and you won't be able to move quite as easily, but as long as your breathing is not restricted (you can take a full breath without much effort) and your circulation is not being cut off (no numbness in the extremities, face and neck don't turn red), it should be great in the water. The idea is to have the suit snug to minimize water flushing through the suit, while still having enough give to allow you to breathe and move easily.

Hope this helps,

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom