Wetsuit sleeves too tight! Can't return it now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami Mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My last dive (60 ft) I had tingling in my thumbs and Doc Vikingo suggested that my wetsuit (short) sleeves were probably too tight. He is absolutely right. They are too tight.
Now, I've used it. I doubt the scuba shop I got it from will take it back. I paid $100.00 for it.

Any suggestions?

Ms. Mermaid,

There are only two which I consider cosmetically appropriate--you would understand what I mean if you ever saw my shop, car, etc. (My boys refer to me as, "Neat Freak", or some such thing.):

(1) Take it to a pro and have gussets put in. Probably cost ca. $40.00. Your dive shop should be able to recommend someone.

(2) If you are skilled with needle and thread, can learn how to use the glue that cements neoprene, and are patient, you can do it yourself. I am more than willing to tell you how to do it, but lack of visual aids will make it more "fun" than you probably want.

There actually is a third solution, but it will likely cost more than your wet suit: have a pro put zippers in.

By the way, in my opinion, your LDS (local dive shop) salesperson should have noticed the tight fit and asked you to try on another wetsuit--or told you that it needed alteration. That's why you go to them rather than shopping the net: SERVICE.

I hope this helps...and isn't the Doc great!

Joewr

When the used wetsuit I purchaed off of eBay turned out a bit too tight in the ankles with no zippers, I aked my LDS what help they could suggest. They told me of a local tailor shop that would put in zippers for about $20/zipper.

For your shorty sleeves, gussets would work fine to increase the size of the sleeves.

This may not be the prettiest solution, but its the cheapest and quickest way. Especially if the arms have a rubber ribbing. I've done that to some of my wetsuits (cut the whole high neck off of one because I was tired of getting my hair caught in the velcro closure). If it has the rubber cuff, just snip through that with scissors. It won't come apart futher than that, and it should give you enough breathing room. If it has all neoprene arms, you can do the same thing, but I would suggest sealing each side of the cut with AquaSeal (or something similar) to prevent fraying.

Just a thought from a very "cheap" diver! :)

If it's just a bit too tight you should be able to stretch the sleeves. Insert an object large enough to stretch the sleeve a bit and leave it there for several days. Then try the suit on and see if it made an improvement.

Ralph

I especially find soft drink bottles good for wrists. (We have neoprene neck & wrist seals on our drysuits.)

The key really IS to leave them stretching for a few days.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom