Wetsuit size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morgan84

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey SB,
Im going to buy a wetsuit, and ive seen some bargains online, but im not sure what size to get. Im 192cm and weigh 92kg. I believe thats 6'4'' and about 210lbs in america. So my question is this: What size should I get? I want a suit with long sleeves and long legs. Also what brands should I look for?

1st question, which brands are you getting "some bargains online" for???....

Pinnacle makes great wetsuits. I have a 5 mm that I have used on about 20 dives so far. It is very warm, shows no wear, and I love the neck seal. You can find great deals online. You can usually find bargains on most of your gear at leisurepro. They have a fit guarantee, but I don't think it applies outside the US.
As far as wetsuit sizing, it all depends on the brand. Most companies have sizing charts up on their sites, so you can get a better idea of what you are looking at. I would go to your LDS and try some on so you have firsthand experiwnce in what you're looking for as far as size goes.

I wanted a pinnacle 5mm,,but they were out of stock,,,I got a henderson 5 mm,,,,i got a large,,,,the size chart was right on for me

Offhand I'd say XL or XXL depending on your build, but that's not anything you can take to the bank.

There's tremendous variation in wetsuit sizing from one manufacturer to the next, plus their cuts also vary. One manufacturer may size his XL wetsuit for a taller person, another for someone shorter and stockier.

If you were buying a shortie, you could make a best guess, but having to factor your height makes buying a first wetsuit via the mail a dubious proposition. Once you have a preferred wetsuit manufaturer whose suits fit you OK, buying more of the same or in different thicknesses is fairly easy.

Morgan... Good luck!
You sound like me. I am the same size. 6'4, 210 pounds. You need to measure your chest & waist too. I have a 36" waist... I ordered a suit online and felt it was small. It was an XL. The torso was really cramped. scuba.com happily sent me an XXL which felt a little better, so I then sent back the XL.
And now that I know what I am doing (well, at least a little better), I should have stayed with the XL. Remember, at least here in the states, anything bought through the mail MUST have a no questions asked 30 days return policy.
It seems that they expect XXL to be fat and not necessarily tall. The collar on my suit is so fat I can get an entire hand in there. That is not going to do well preventing water flow.

my local guy is trying to sell me a Henderson. They have some new-fangled suit that is real nice and some sort of hyperstretch that is supposed to be good for tall lean guys like us.

Morgan... Good luck!
You sound like me. I am the same size. 6'4, 210 pounds. You need to measure your chest & waist too. I have a 36" waist... I ordered a suit online and felt it was small. It was an XL. The torso was really cramped. scuba.com happily sent me an XXL which felt a little better, so I then sent back the XL.
And now that I know what I am doing (well, at least a little better), I should have stayed with the XL. Remember, at least here in the states, anything bought through the mail MUST have a no questions asked 30 days return policy.
It seems that they expect XXL to be fat and not necessarily tall. The collar on my suit is so fat I can get an entire hand in there. That is not going to do well preventing water flow.

my local guy is trying to sell me a Henderson. They have some new-fangled suit that is real nice and some sort of hyperstretch that is supposed to be good for tall lean guys like us.

thanks for the tip captain ^_^

on this board, but this would be a great time to support a LDS. While the price may be more you are getting the service of trying on the suit and first hand knowledge of that particular suit. They should have different suits and offer advice on which suits will work best in your area. Yes you should visit a few so you get to try different manufacturers. Buy a suit that fits well and next time you can buy with confidence online.

Go to a local dealer.Try on their suits. Then buy the one which fits you online. In my experience each manufacturer seems to have their own idea about what XXL is. I bought a Henderson hyperstretch online and saved a bunch of bucks over the local cost.

Back
Top Bottom