Wetsuit Rash vs. Decompression sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

psinyc

Reaction score
Both my wife and I are pretty new to scuba. Over the weekend we rented 7mm wetsuits. We dove 8 dives in 2 days (all training dives, none deeper than 50 ft) with the rented wetsuits. That night, my wife woke me in the middle of the night with pain in her shoulder, and a few bumps (some on the skin, some just under) under her arm.

Knowing that we really didn't make deep dive that day, and the few dives that were between 40 - 50 ft we took 3 minute 15 ft safety stop ... we pretty much ruled out deco sickness. Also, the fact that the wetsuits were rented led us both the believe that the rash and soarness came on from the wetsuits. Nonetheless, it was a momentary scare to consider it may be deco sickness (the rash, pain in joints ... )

What I'm trying to get out is what are clear signs of decompression sickness, how long do they take to kick in, and how long before you die (for lack of a better word) before treated? With the rash, can it be anywhere, or just near and above the chest, and the soar joints, could it be just one joint, or all your joints. Thanks Dr Deco and others.

Call DAN.

919-684-8111

They have people available at all hours who can talk with you and determine if you have a problem that needs addressed.

There is no charge to talk with them - and if you ARE experiencing DCS, its the best call you will ever make.

You CAN get bent on a dive to 40-50 feet.

with Genesis. I'd call DAN. The symptoms you describe are very much DCS sounding.

are the symptoms gone now?

Tom

could be a reaction to something they cleaned the suit with.

The joint pain, however, doesn't jive.

The combination sounds like DCS.

Some cases resolve on their own without any management or treatment. But its not wise to go that route without at least talking to someone at DAN (or a knowledgable diving doc) about it because permanent damage can occur, even if it looks like a "simple" type I hit...

Looking back at your diving, 4 dives in a day is pretty heavy, even if you were only at 40-50 feet for each. The second day compounded your exposure, as you probably were not completely desaturated by the time you went back in the water for the second day.

Not all hits are "deserved" - you can get a DCS hit even if you do everything right by the tables or your computer...

we called DAN, and after a long discussion, the Dr. ruled out decompression sickness. The pain wasn't in the joint but rather more a topical "painful" rash.

Are there definate early warning symptoms to deco?

Dear psinyc:

Bends

In truth, there is not any foolproof way to diagnose joint-pain DCS, that is, “the bends.” The signs and symptoms of neurological DCS are more obvious, e.g., paralysis. A "test of pressure" is about the only sure way. We might list some points:
  • the problem usually appears within an hour or two of surfacing;
  • the dive profile indicates that gas loads were significant (but this is not always indicative);
  • gas uptake could have been great (exertion at depth) and/or off gassing reduced (just sat or slept);
  • exertion during the surface interval might indicate micronuclei formation.
Will I die?

No, you won’t die from “the bends” - - but you might wish you had. Bad cases can be quite painful, I am told. :(

Of course, inordinate gas loads, such as were reported in THE LAST DIVE, leave divers that are simply beyond help unless some type of recompression is immediately available. This is either in a chamber or in the water. (In-water recompression is fraught with its own problems.)

Calling DAN is always a good idea.:wink:

Dr Deco :doctor:

In no way I'm an expert on DSC, but the joint pain can be easily explained.
You guys are new divers, probably not used to hauling all the heavy gear - tanks, weights (lots of weight with 7mm suits). Four dives a day, I would say, is a pretty intense exercise for a newbie.
After such load joint/muscle pain is not unusual regardless were you diving or doing something else, e.g. backpacking.

Seen similar with cavers in borrowed wet suits. If the arm section is tight it can agravate and block the lymph ducts, resulting in swelling and pain in that area

Back
Top Bottom