Wetsuit in Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportyluis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All!

I'm counting down the time to my trip! Any reco's if I should take a 3mm wetsuit or am I ok in board shorts and a rash guard? I tend to always take my wetsuit for some reason but trying to learn to pack better!

I should mention the wetsuit isn't for warmth but more for any fire coral, etc that may be lurking about. I'm pretty ok with my buoyancy but just in case!

Luis

it depends, for me I always in Bonaire (assume about the same conditions as curacao) dive in swimsuit and long-sleeved rash guard. But born in montana, I have a high tolerance for cold. My wife and kid dive in a 3 or 5mm. I like the freedom and the weight you get to drop from not having a wet suit.

My daughter did one dive like that and loved it until about 20 minutes in then was like, lets turn the dive, I'm cold.

All that being said, end of the week, I have thought that a shorty would be nice, but that is probably from a lot of diving dropping core temp.

I only take a full skin suit for night dives (don't want to run into anything that stings when I cant see)

Each of us is different... I have dove Curacao in November and April and have dove in a 3mm shortie. Wife was only in a rash guard. Two dives a day, and each were over an hour.... It is always warm when you get out as the temps are about constant...

I would probably continue to bring a 3mm shortie....

Was there about this week last year and had a 1mm but four dives a day or even more and I was shivering at the end of the day and the weather was beautiful - diving like that I'd switch to a 3mm personally.

Thanks all! I've packed the 3mm!

2nd week in Jan the water temp was 77-78. Most folks needed at least 3mil, often a hood on 2nd and 3rd dives of the day.

For the last 10 years I've always dove with just my 1 mm full length skin, but finding with 2 x 60 min. dives/day I'm cold at the end of each dive, so I'm bringing my 3mm shorty to put over the top.

Update... I’m really glad I brought my 3mm suit! Only did some snorkeling yesterday but was the water ever cold (relatively speaking compared to what I was expecting) I usually do quite well snorkeling or even on short dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom