Wetsuit Hood Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrafCanuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at purchasing my first wetsuit hood. 90% of the time I will be diving in the Caribbean in 75+ water temps. I'm thinking 3mm or maybe go up to 5mm. From what I gather in reading some of the posts on here is to stay away from a bib style. I'm looking for manufacturer recommendation(s) with experiences. Thanks in advance.

Waterproof. I use the non-bibbed ones with both drysuit and wetsuit.

Fourth Element Thermocline hood. Most comfortable hood ever! Only issue Is I have to burn a couple small holes in the top to let bubbles vent out.

I am on my second one, just because I sort of wore out my first one.

Previously my head has exploded wearing a hood in 75+ water

If I feel like headbutting something, I use my first stage instead

Well my head didn't really explode but I was definitely inside the pot sharing the same view as the lobster
Yeah I rolled the hood off my head and more tightly around my neck and strangled myself to death instead

Hey, but if it's cold and I have no hood, well that's like the top of my head being processed by a ham slicer

I didn't really strangle myself to death

Here I am

full.jpg

In 65+ water temps my hood, is about the same thickness as my diving attire, my hair

Do you think Scubapro should buy my photo

I had a similar question just a little over a year ago. Following is the link to the thread that had plenty of recommendations: Teach me about the hood

I was looking for something to keep my head warm in cooler than 75º water (Sea of Cortez), but like you, over 90% of my diving is in the Caribbean. I purchased the 3mm Aqua Lung Hot Head. With water temps ranging from 72-75º, I found I probably could have survived without the hood, but that I appreciated the extra warmth on top. Post #33 on the link above has a picture of what I purchased and my experience with it.

I don't see myself using one in the Caribbean, but if a person gets cold easily, they are nice.

K01 is the best hood on the market, hands down.

For Caribbean water, the 3mm Aqualung isn't bad, although you'll probably want to punch a couple vent holes in it. All I roll with when I'm in rash guard water is the Mako freediving hood. It's for physical protection, not warmth.

Maybe a little bit overkill but the Seac Sub Tekno gave me personally the best warmth for bucks.
Has:
Long collar for tucking beneath wetsuit.
Smooth skin on collar, for a little seal between hood and wetsuit.
Smooth skin arround face.
Vent system (Holes with a flap).

Not suitable for a dry-suit though, but you asked for wetsuit. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom