Wetsuit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taliesin58

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in need of a wetsuit, but I do not know if I can buy one off the rack.
I am 6'3" and weight 180 and have a 34 in waist.

I was wondering if I could buy one off the rack and get it altered.
I read on here that you can get a custom wetsuit for close to same price, but the problem is that I live in japan. The cheapest custom quote that I got was $600.
If not, does anyone know any good shops in Thailand that can tailor one (and how long it would take)?

Go to scuba.com website. Look up wetsuits. They have sizing charts using real measurements

I did, but I don't fit neatly into any size. So, if I can buy one off the rack and get it altered, what aspect (height, weight, or waist and chest) should i look for?

Check out www.divers-supply.com

You should be able to get a 2 piece suit for no more than $150.00 depending on thickness. Then the custom charge is $85. From their you have shipping but you are looking at about $300 for the total package

Go here: http://aquaflite.com

I faxed them measurements and a Visa card number on Wednesday of last week; wetsuit arrives by UPS today while I'm talking with Ed on the phone. Now I know how a wetsuit is supposed to fit. Great product, very reasonable prices.

I am 6'3" and weigh 180 lbs and have a 34 in waist. (Somewhere between a 35-36" inseam and a 34-35 sleeve)

I wear a stock Henderson Large (InstaDry 7mm).

The legs are a smidge short (on occasion the bottom of the legs pulls out so it just touches the tops of my booties), but other than that it's been a great suit.

The lesson I have learned with wetsuits is that height per a chart is not as important as other aspects of the fit... and fortunately, those are more easily accommodated.

I also had a sizing issue when buying a wetsuit. Mine was wider and shorter. After lots of research I found that pinnacle had the best variety in their sizing chart. It fit me perfectly. I did buy it from a local dealer that is also my LDS and I did not have to worry about returning it. I'm not saying Pinnacle is better than everyone else out there, just that they had the best variety of sizes.

:D Thrilled to be diving!!!

taliesin58:
I am in need of a wetsuit, but I do not know if I can buy one off the rack.
I am 6'3" and weight 180 and have a 34 in waist.

I was wondering if I could buy one off the rack and get it altered.
I read on here that you can get a custom wetsuit for close to same price, but the problem is that I live in japan. The cheapest custom quote that I got was $600.
If not, does anyone know any good shops in Thailand that can tailor one (and how long it would take)?

Get an O'Neill wetsuit size MT. You are a perfect fit: http://oneill.com/company-sizechart.php

Bare also has a wide variety in their stock sizing.

You can also get a Henderson custom made. You have to go to a Gold dealer to be measured & order the suit & there is a fee, I don't think it's that much over the stock price.

Your just about right there for a Henderson 1 piece, and they also let you mix and match diferent size tops and bottoms if you go with a 2 piece. I have a straight 7mm hyperstretch in XL Long, I'm only 6 foot, but I have long legs and being 210 lbs. the stock XL didn't feel comfortable. Here's the link to the Henderson sizing page. Good Luck. http://www.hendersonusa.com/size_charts.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom