Wetsuit Glue Rubber Kneepads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My rubber kneepads are pulling loose on my wetsuit and need to be glued. Should I use Aquaseal or seal cement? I read that seal cement is more flexible. If I use Aquaseal do I need Cotol? I tried DAP contact cement but that did not work. It may have been due to not properly cleaning both surfaces.

Thanks,
Mike

I think I'd try neoprene cement first. If that fails, Aquaseal. But go kinda easy on the Aquaseal because it does not shrink much when it dries so you probably don't want to lay it on too thick.

Well I had the same problem, the stiching started coming apart on the knee pads. I used aquaseal without the cotol and laid down a bead and let it dry overnight. 2 years later still holding up fine.

Aquaseal works well to seal up a small hole or to lock down some threads from a torn seam. Maybe even cover up a hole in the top of your boot from your big toe (nail) rubbing on the neoprene.

However, aquaseal does not have the same elasticity as neoprene. If you apply aquaseal over a large area, especially on an area of the suit that is subject to frequent and significant stretching (like a knee) then you may experience problems.

You MAY find that the area directly underneath the knee pad (with the aquaseal and the knee pad itself) has reduced elasticity. This may result in the concentration of stress at the very edge of the knee pad and cause tearing of the wetsuit material at the very edge of the knee pad where the stretching is most concentrated.

In other words, where the thick relatively inelastic knee pad ends and the normal wetsuit begins will be a location vulnerable to excessive stretching and potential damage. This edge on the top of the knee pad is vulnerable to tearing.

Wetsuit glue is thinner and is probably a better choice for this type of repair.

I will say one thing for Aquaseal: it holds up. I did some customizing on my 1/4" wetsuit somewhere around 40 years ago and it's still holding. But, it is not stretchy like MAKO Spearguns said.

So @Mark IV , it's 2 to 2 now? Now we need another tie-breaker :wink:

OK, I'll take a swing, and toss in that classic, time-honored internet forum response: "BOTH!!"
(oh,wait, that still leaves us with a tie. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom