Wetsuit for Tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you'll find a range of responses for "the tropics" from bare skin to 5 mil. I also think you'll find that the preponderance of responses are right in the middle ... 3 mil.

depends on what you mean by tropics but a 5/4 is overkill for the caribbean, even in the winter months. I dive the Caribbean using a 1/2mm, sometimes a 1mm and in winter I use a 3mm full suit.
by caribbean I mean Bonaire, Roatan, Cozumel, Bahamas, Belize, Caymans, etc.

I went to Cozumel the week after Thanksgiving by way of a cruise ship. We arranged a three tank dive trip. I wore a 3mil shorty. 1st dive was perfect temp. 2nd dive I started to get a little chilled. 3rd dive my coldness was on my mind for most of the dive. Each dive was around 30-45 minutes. The water temp was 82 degrees top to bottom (to 89 feet, my max depth). Two other divers had 5mills and was never cold or hot. In short, the more you dive in a day or week the more wetsuit you will end up wanting/needing.

I'm leaning towards a Bare Velocity 5/4 wetsuit. I dive mostly tropics. Would this be warm enough for most dives?

thanks.

If you'll do a search @ the top, you''ll save yourself a lot of time.....The below link is from typing in 'bare velocity'---click on 2nd thread that came up......The answer to your question is yes, I would think.........

ScubaBoard - Search Results

I agree that the thickness will vary greatly here. My opinion is to rent if posible to see what is comfortable. The thinner you need, the more options you get. If you stay 5 or under not only will you have the major scuba wet suit companies but all the surfer ones as well. I LOVE my O'Neil. It's a 2 mm core with 1 mm arms and legs. It's long sleeved shorty. Works great for me since my arms usually get colder than my legs. There neoprene is very comfortable. Did 6 days with 21 dives in Bonaire and it was all I needed, but that is me.

It depends on your personal tolerance to cold, and exactly what temperatures you'll be diving. Personally, in the Caribean, I'm fine with a Velocity 3/2mm doing 3 and 4 dives a day. But I'm fairly cold resistant. If you get chilly easily, I think the 5/4 would be a good option. If warmth generally isn't a problem, go for a 3/2.

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

You should check out the 4th Element Thermocline...

Extremely light for travelling, about 1kg for top, bottom, shorts and socks.

In a single layer it is supposed to be equivalent to 2,5mm neoprene (but since the top overlaps with the bottom you get some extra insulation) It is perfect for 25C and up, but can also be alyered under neoprene for extra effect.

It is extremely nice to dive, as it is non-buoyant, non-compressible, and you may be able to dive without any weights and air in your BC. (I was)

I'm leaning towards a Bare Velocity 5/4 wetsuit. I dive mostly tropics. Would this be warm enough for most dives?

thanks.

It depends a lot on how warm you are, how many dive each day, days in a row and how much natural insulation you have. I go to the Philippines and dive that very same suit in 83 F water 3-4 times a day down to 80 feet. I'm comfortable in it. I used to use a 3mm but after the first couple of trips and repetitive dive days it was compressed already and cold. I think my metabalism slows down in the water too and of course I tend to hang around looking at critters and take photos.

Back
Top Bottom