Wetsuit for Galapagos in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Galapagos once in December 2016 & twice in October 2022, as shown in the trip reports posted, below.

Water temperatures in December are 1-2C (2-4F) warmer than in October. I was wearing 5mm full wetsuit with 2mm shorty over the 5mm wetsuit and 1mm hood in December. The lowest temperature then was 16C (61F) in Cabo Douglas & Punta Vincente Roca. I felt cold, but able to hangout for 50 minutes then. Darwin & Wolf water temperatures were 24-25C (75-77F). So, I was quite comfortable with wearing those 2mm shorty over 3mm wetsuits with 1mm hood.

Since October is colder season, I wore 7mm full wetsuit with 1mm hood. I was comfortable diving with that setup in Darwin & Wolf. However, I was cold diving in Cabo Douglas & Punta Vincente Roca, where the water temperatures were as low as 15C (59F). After 40 minutes & seeing Mola Mola, I had to get out of the water (gave a thumb up to my dive buddy & DM to ascend alone, launched my DSMB & flagged the panga to get me out of the water).

I’m going back to Galapagos this December 18-28, 2023. This time I plan to bring the 7mm full wetsuit, 1mm hood and 7mm hooded vest. Even though December is warmer than October, I plan to put the 7mm hooded vest over the 7mm full wetsuit when we dive in Cabo Douglas and Punta Vincente Roca. We’ll see how that setup work then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom