Wetsuit for a trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

74 to 78 sounds a bit cold for Coz. I go there a lot in the winter and it's always 79 to 81. There is no thermocline, it's the same temp from top to bottom. A lot of people wear 3mm shoirties, but I wear a 5mm for repetitive diving.

It it's really 74 to 78 then I'd go 5 to 7mm.

Below 75 degrees and I'm in a drysuit.

5 mil full suit for me in Coz....and I have NEVER been too warm :)

We just dive skins, from March - november and I get cold easy

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Husband and I wore a 3 mm in Cozumel in December and it was fabulous.
We were on the boat with people who wore 5 mm, a 3 mm shorty, and no wetsuit at all. Everyone seemed good, except one girl who was totally fat free and was shivering after dives she took in the 3mm shorty.

So it seems to be pretty personal.

For my dives, it didn't seem like the temperature changed with depth, it was pretty constant, I want to say 78-80 degrees, but don't have my log nearby. I also didn't feel like I was colder the 2nd dive than the first, and I generally kept my wetsuit on between dives, or hung out in the water during SIs.

You don't say when you are coming here. I wear a 3mm full suit in the summer and a 5 mm suit in the winter. And always with a 3 mm hooded vest underneath. I get get cold easily and do very long dives. So you may well do with less neoprene than I.

The temps you quoted are too low, regardless of whether summer or winter. It can drop as low as 79 in the winter and head up to about 83 in the summer, give or take a degree.

Last edited:
I'd vote for a 5 mm full suit, with 2 mm beenie. Full suits are more effective than 'layering'. Neoprene compresses with depth, so a 3 mm will be more like a 1 or 1 1/2 mm at depth and be much less effective the deeper you dive. Something like 40% of body heat is lost through the head/neck area so even a modest 2 mm beenie can make a big difference too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom