Wetsuit combination for Bahamas in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortis65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like some input to see if I can do a liveaboard dive week with what I have, or if I have to go out and purchase a new wetsuit.
I've been reading some wildly different forecasts for water temp in Bahamas in the Nov/Dec window, anywhere from high 70's to as low as 69.
I've read more than a few places that a 5mm full suit is the way to go, but, I just am not ready to pay that much for a suit that won't see a lot of water time.
When I'm up in Canada, I dive my dry suit all the way down into the upper 30's. I have an old 7mm + 7mm Hooded vest that I've retired that I used to wear before I went dry.
When I'm on Cozumel, I dive my 3mm shorty 79-81 degree water quite happily, or I'll dive my 3/2 full suit if I'm around fire coral etc.
Here is what I'm thinking for Bahamas in late November. Drysuit, or 7mm full suit are just too much. 3mm shorty, or 3/2 full suit are not enough.
BUT, I'm thinking I could layer my shorty under my 3/2 as a core warmer, and take my 5mm hood from my dry suit if I need some more warmth.

Am I nuts, or could I possibly have a good combination?

Thanks.

That should work. I have dived a Lob in the Bahamas in Nov with a 3/2 fullsuit and a lavacore shirt. You can expect temps in the high 60's at times. Avg should be mid 70's. Maybe use your 7 ml vest as a layer. Have fun.

The water is typically still in the mid to high 70s during November/December. There are occasionally some colder days, but not the usual. The air temp can be pretty chilly though, so the combination of long/frequent dives and cold surface intervals could catch up to you. I do use a 5mm year round, usually with a thin hood. If you're used the the cooler water temps like you say, I think the layering idea would be perfectly fine, as long as the fit is good. If you feel really restricted by the layers, or cold without it, it could put a damper on your trip. I've seen the Neosport 5mm full suits as low as $95.

SPGF1_st.jpg

We have more detailed weather information on our website.

Back
Top Bottom