Wetsuit Care and Conditioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronanm98

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has any good points/tips on cleaning, conditioning, and storing a neoprene wetsuit for both new and used exposure suits?

Ro.

ronanm98:
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has any good points/tips on cleaning, conditioning, and storing a neoprene wetsuit for both new and used exposure suits?

Ro.

I don't have extensive experience, so take this for what it's worth and hopefully you'll get more replies with better information...

I follow a couple of rules and will adjust my storage techniques based upon them (like when I think I might need it next, what time of year, etc.)

[1] Do not allow the suit to be folded for long periods of time, particularly in an elevated temperature environment (like over 90 degrees).

[2] Minimize the exposure to UV light (like sunshine).

[3] Keep it clean and inspect stiching regularly and "fix" and problems.

So here are some tips I know of, or practice...

Hang on sturdy pastic hangers covered with the large foam "noodles" that kids play with in the pool (it keeps away the shoulder creases when you have to hang them).

Wash with warm water and rinse with cool as often as necessary to remove the stink from long lieaboard trips or excessive body oils and fluids from diving. If you don't use sink-the-stink (or other product), then wash with a tiny drop of liquid hand soap and rinse using a fabric softener. Use the gentle cylce only!

When storing for long periods of time, put in a large full garment bag and put it under the bed (or any location that the temperatures are not extreme). Laying flat is best way to store over long useless periods. No weight on the garments/suits.

What is everyone else doing?

Rinsing, cleaning? You're supposed to do that? I wondered why I always had more space on the boat than anyone else? :embarass:

What jhelmuth said was good advise. I don't put mine in the washer tho, I'll soak it in the tub with lemon Joy then rinse real well. Can't really speak too much on storage, mine barely has time to dry before it gets used again.

It is always best to keep the suit wet before rinsing, on the trip home, just don't let it dry and don't keep it wet with salt water for too long. Rinse with fresh water and Use Natures miracle, especially if you urinate in your wetsuit, best if you didn't!! But hey we all have the urge!!! You can find Natures miracle at Pet shops like Petsmart!!

will rinse the suits prior to leaving the boat which really helps when they will be packed away for a day or two while in transit.

The last one also tossed a cup of fabric softener in the dunk tank to help counteract the Eau du Kidneys fragrance...

Once a Customs agent opened my dive bag which held a damp, 2-day old, unrinsed suit and the green cloud that assaulted his nose was pretty vile...if looks could've killed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom