Wetsuit availability for cenote dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark_B

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I get cold pretty easily. I lived in Hawaii for three years, and did plenty of diving while there. Even in the warm summer waters, I dove with 7mm and hood to stay warm during the 45min dives.

Are there heavier suits and hoods available for rent from local operators, or do I need to get my own prior to heading down?

If you get cold easily, bring your own suit. The water temps run around 76, maybe a little warmer below the halocline, and you won't be moving quickly or fighting against a current. Most of the local cave instructors dive dry. I'd take a 5mm and a hooded vest if I was going again.

I'm going to assume that you will be doing what it known as "cavern" diving in the cenotes (no penetration, sunlight always visible).

Our experience with the dive shop we used is that they made shorties available to wear over your normal wetsuit for added warmth.

I dive a BARE Velocity 5mm and never needed it.

My wife dives a Henderson 3mm and would take advantage of the shorty when she felt it was necessary.

I'm going to assume that you will be doing what it known as "cavern" diving in the cenotes (no penetration, sunlight always visible).

I would not make that assumption…

I just came back from a couple of Cenote dives that were full on cave dives. (As far as I know, I was the only certified cave diver in the group.) We swam in and turned the dive after about 30 minutes. I don’t think we were actually that far from the exit, due to the circular course. But, if you had an emergency and had to follow the line out, you’re a 30 minute swim from the cavern zone. There was no external light for 90% of the dive, it was as dark, silty and occasionally tight as any real cave dive.

Bring your own, or at least bring your own hood. It sounds like your cold tolerance is even less than mine. I brought my 7mm to Hawaii (in part just to avoid having to rent or buy another suit) and I never even considered adding the hood I wear at home. The first time I dived in the cenotes, the shop gave me 2 thin fullsuits (I think they were 2.5mm each), and I was comfortable enough, but it was nice to have my 7mm this time.

Some people really seem to hate 7mm suits. I've seen a lot of comments here by people who would rather dive dry or be cold than wrestle their way into a 7mm. I've certainly known a lot of folks who would rather layer multiple pieces than put on a single 7mm suit. To each his own, but if you have a 7mm you like, and you're at all concerned about the cold, just bring it!

I would not make that assumption…

I just came back from a couple of Cenote dives that were full on cave dives. (As far as I know, I was the only certified cave diver in the group.) We swam in and turned the dive after about 30 minutes. I don’t think we were actually that far from the exit, due to the circular course. But, if you had an emergency and had to follow the line out, you’re a 30 minute swim from the cavern zone. There was no external light for 90% of the dive, it was as dark, silty and occasionally tight as any real cave dive.
I was quite happy in my 3.5mm full. Teric recorded 79F

Minor TJack: Being on your six for those dives, I kept on thinking, "Damn that guy is good!" :cheers: Now I understand why and don’t feel so bad. :wink: A little overwhelming (in a good way) for a first time cenote experience. And thanks for the confirmation that it was full-cave. Maybe something like 5-10x the distance to surface rec "limit" depending on how you view it.

From Hawaii and in the exact same boat as you. Just did my cave course and completed it in a trilam drysuit with minimal undergarments. If you're used to Hawaiian waters and only doing dives less than an hour, you can probably get away with a 7mm

I just came back from a couple of Cenote dives that were full on cave dives. (As far as I know, I was the only certified cave diver in the group.) We swam in and turned the dive afterabout 30 minutes.
Which cenotes were they? The only silt I've ever seen disturbed in Mexican cenotes was that which I had kicked up myself, whether doing a lost line drill or shoving a tank through restrictions in an advanced sidemount class. I have seen some "cavern" dives where the external light was only a dim green glow in the distance. There have, of course, been instances when the guide actually led the group off the cavern line into the cave zone, including one a few years back in which the guide and both clients died.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom