wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstro

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm diving the Red Sea this fall and I'm looking for some advice on adding a wet suit to my gear.

I'm in the military and am stationed in Germany right now, but I'm from FL and definitely plan on ending up near some warm waters, but you never know. I'm looking for something that can be versatile and good for some longevity.

I'm 6', 175lbs and don't have much fat for insulation. I'm thinking a 3/2 would be alright, especially for all-around-ness. Any thoughts?

Thanks

PS - Anyone know of any decent spots in Europe?

Hey there,

The Red Sea averages at about 20-22 degrees Celsius, but can get as warm as 25-30 degrees Celsius. At the time you're going (depending on where you're heading, North or South), expect somewhere between 20-25 degrees (that's between 70 and 80 Fahrenheit).

I'd go with a shorty, possibly a full-length 5mm wet suit, depending on dive time and depth, but then again, I don't get that cold.

As for good places in Europe, there are plenty. In Germany you have a bunch of quarry and lake dives. Further down south, around Austria and Switzerland, there are again lakes, and rivers with good drift diving. If you're more into saline water, the Med has good dive sites along the coasts of Spain, France, and Italy. Corsica should be a must-do. You can probably also get some cheap flights to the Canary Islands, good diving year-round there. If you can handle the cold, there are some great places up North, where I'm from.

I'd be happy to help you with more specific information, just send me a message.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom