Wet wide angle lens differences ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So many different wet wide angle lenses out there. I researched many of the different offerings and it seems the main differences are:

- designed to work with compact cameras with 35mm, 28mm or 24mm lens
- designed to be fully zoom through or not
- lens has a dome or not
- lens has native 67mm or 52mm threads, but adapters are available

Is the above basically true ?

I would think the above plus how closely the camera lens sits away from the housing port and then in turn how closely the wet wide angle lens sits, all affect the corner sharpness and vignetting ?

Pricing seems to mostly vary from $400 to $700. With the fully zoom through lenses being more expensive.

In your other thread you mentioned that one of your cameras is a TG-4. Probably the best wide angle wet lenses for this camera would be the Backscatter M52 wide angle or the M52 Air Lens. I just purchased the Air lens, it's reasonably priced at $149 and gives you full zoom through. While only 81 degrees it does seem to be a good compromise if you want to do wide angle and macro on the same dive. I have only done one dive with it but I do like it sofar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom