Wet suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfish00

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am returning to diving and am on a very limited budget. I have noticed that wetsuits for other water sports are far cheaper than those from dive shops. I realise they may not be the same quality but is there any reason why I couldn't just use an alternative wet suit than one specifically for diving? I will be diving in warm waters. Thanks for any help.

Should work, especially if a wetsuit isn't critical thermal protection for your waters.

In the 1990's and 2000's, I dove Belize in shorts and a t-shirt. I was into some distance swimming (rehabbing a running injury) for a bit, so got a swimmer's wetsuit (cheap) because where I live the lakes get nippy after an hour or two in the water. Turns out it worked great for Belize diving until another running injury ended my running days and, uh, well, that wetsuit doesn't fit anymore....

Should work, especially if a wetsuit isn't critical thermal protection for your waters.

In the 1990's and 2000's, I dove Belize in shorts and a t-shirt. I was into some distance swimming (rehabbing a running injury) for a bit, so got a swimmer's wetsuit (cheap) because where I live the lakes get nippy after an hour or two in the water. Turns out it worked great for Belize diving until another running injury ended my running days and, uh, well, that wetsuit doesn't fit anymore....

Thanks that's good to know. :) I can't imagine the water will be very cold in Jamaica - I want it more to protect my legs when getting back on the boat as always manage to knock my shins or knees when climbing up the ladder.

With thin wetsuits it really doesn't matter.

But as you go from just a little warmth and abrasion protection to really needing to stay warm it starts matter. Different neoprene to handle depth a little better, different cuts, different ways to control water flushing through.

Something like a spearfishing wetsuit works great for scuba. But if you are looking as a surface watersport style wetsuit it probably isn't ideal for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom