Wet suits in Bligh and Beqa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MillenniumArtGlass

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Fiji in late August

Good day. I am heading to Fiji in late August with friends for two weeks, and we will be diving by Wananavu (Rakiraki) and Bligh Waters boat dives for 5 days, two tanks per day the first week. Then we are headed to Pacific Harbour for several days and the AquaTrek shark dive on Monday morning the second week. I am interested in finding out what you all would recommend for environment suits. There are four of us and I don't THINK anyone is bringing a dry suit. I have heard a full lycra 1MM skin with a hood is a good start. Then Others said to also take along a 3MM full suit (not a shorty) and a 2MM vest for the top (just in case). I have 5MM boots and gloves. Since many of you know the conditions better than we do, can you tell me what you think? I appreciate any input you may have. Thanks!!!!! -- Pat

We are looking into the possibility of taking a quick trip in August also. We plan at least 1 - 2 days in Beqa. I am also interested in the wetsuit issue. I was planning a 1 mm under my 3 mm with a hood and vest just in case. When are you in Pacific Harbor? Where are you staying?

We will be there late August and I think we are at the Up Rising for four days. There are two shark dives, we are doing the Aqua Trek one, but hear they are both great.

How was your trip? My BF and I are trying to decide between diving at Wananavu and Beqa for two days in January 2010 on our way back from GBR. I'd be interested in your compairison between the two resorts and the diving.

I just returned from Beqa a couple of days ago. The diving was great with great visibility. However, the water temp was 75 degrees. I was comfortable in a 5mm wetsuit. My wife wore a 5mm wetsuit with a 3mm hooded vest.

Hmmm.... I am headed to Fiji the first week in October to dive a few days off Taveuni and 2 days off Beqa. The warmest suit I have is a 1.5 - 2 mm. :)

Do you think a polartic divskin will be warm enough or should I run out and buy a 3 mm?

I rarely dive in water temps under 81 and after doing 3 dives a day, start to get a little chilly enough to put on my 1.5 mm on the 5th day.

Four of us just did 11 dives in Bligh water and Beqa. We all wore 4mm. After two-three dives the girls were cold, I never had a problem. I had an Edge 3mm full, no hood, no gloves, 5mm boots and my BCD. I was very comfortable. Here are a couple shots: Login | Facebook

Ra Divers out of Volivoli / Wananavu are great to dive with, especially the Bigger boat out on Bligh. AquaTrek is who we dove with in Pacific Harbour. Bula!!

Four of us just did 11 dives in Bligh water and Beqa. We all wore 4mm. After two-three dives the girls were cold, I never had a problem. I had an Edge 3mm full, no hood, no gloves, 5mm boots and my BCD. I was very comfortable. Here are a couple shots: Login | Facebook

Ra Divers out of Volivoli / Wananavu are great to dive with, especially the Bigger boat out on Bligh. AquaTrek is who we dove with in Pacific Harbour. Bula!!

Thanks for the info... maybe by the time I get there the temps will have warmed up a degree or so and I can get by with my 1.5-2mm. If not, the resort I will be at on Taveuni for 4 days told me they have 5 mm pinnacles.... and won't charge me if I need to use one!

I'm still looking around at some of my lds here trying to find a 3 mm that fits though.

WE all wore 3 mill suits, not "4mm" as in my last post. That was a typo, because i have really fat fingers and didn't catch it until now. There are hard corals and although you can wear gloves, I never did. That coral will shred a Polarskin or thin skin. Everyone on our dives, all the crew/divemasters, all the divers (about 14 different) and those who did photography, ALL wore full suits 3mm to 5mm, the gals wore beanies no hoods. Even on the shark dive in Beqa all the divemasters were in 3mm or 5mm, but they wore hoods. I feel a 3 mm full and boots is plenty, even in Bligh and Beqa, and in winter. Hope this helps.

WE all wore 3 mill suits, not "4mm" as in my last post. That was a typo, because i have really fat fingers and didn't catch it until now. There are hard corals and although you can wear gloves, I never did. That coral will shred a Polarskin or thin skin. Everyone on our dives, all the crew/divemasters, all the divers (about 14 different) and those who did photography, ALL wore full suits 3mm to 5mm, the gals wore beanies no hoods. Even on the shark dive in Beqa all the divemasters were in 3mm or 5mm, but they wore hoods. I feel a 3 mm full and boots is plenty, even in Bligh and Beqa, and in winter. Hope this helps.

Well, maybe by the time I get there I can get by in my old 1.5 mm. :D

This will be my 3rd time heading over there and really never needed anything warmer than a lycra until the last day or so and then wore the 1.5

Back
Top Bottom