Wet Suit Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nutzweare

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello! I am new to diving (just took my first class today) and was hoping I could get some input as to the various wetsuits available. I am looking to purchase a full body wet suit / 5mm but am not sure which manufacturer has the best suits but at an affordable price. I was looking at the ScubaPro ONEFlex wet suit which seems to be reasonably priced but I really have no idea what would be a good entry level suit.

Of course, input on BC's would be appreciated as well.

Thank you!

I love my 7mm Henderson thermoprene I also have a double 7 bare wet suit that I quite like.

I have a Bare 3/2 Velocity that is very nice. I also have a 7mm Neosport X-Span that is terrible

I love my 7mm X-Span. Fits perfect! I just ordered a 5mm version.

Like any other piece of gear, which manufacturer has the "best suits at an affordable price" is something on which opinions will differ greatly. And as others have said, the most important criterion is probably whether the suit fits you well. I would venture to guess that MOST manufacturers produce suits that MOST divers are satisfied with. The last two suits I've owned I bought because they were on sale, not because I hunted down a supposedly highly-rated suit, and they have fit me well. There are some suits for which manufacturers charge a premium based on supposedly unique features in the material or cut and some plain-jane bargain suits. My wife dives a 3 mm full suit she paid around $50 for new in a clearance sale and is perfectly happy with it because it fits her well (she tried it on in the shop). The bottom line is that this is one of those "your mileage may vary" situations. If the suit fits you really well, you will be happier with it than a less perfectly fitting suit that has some proprietary feature of the material or cut.

The reason why a fit is so important is that if you have places where there is "ample room", thats where you loose your warmth. So what type of diving will you mainly be doing? Warm water (as in 28C tropical water) or also in the temperate climates? 5 mm is fine when the water is quite warm, but less so if the temp drops below 20C. I just went to a couple of shops and fitted some. Be prepared that fitting is rather exhausting. I wanted an H2O, they make absolutely beautiful suits, but it was such a struggle for me to get it on, I declined. Now I have an Aqua Lung, nicely made too. I have a 7 mm full body and the 5 mm shorty that goes on top. My wife, after trying several too, bought the same suite, because they fit well and are nicely made for a reasonable price.
But remember when you want to dive in more temperate climates, a 5 mm won't be warm enough.

Thanks everyone for the input and advice. I don't plan on diving in cold water any time soon that's why I thought the 5mm would work well for the time being. Looks like I'll just need to continue doing research and actually try some on as well.

I second that. However,a little bit stretchy-fit wet/semidry may not be stretchy at all at depth, due to neoprene compression.

A wetsuit is only as good as it fits. Besides that, the stretchier the suit, the less warm it will have at depth. This means that the best suit would be a snug fit suit that fits your body very closely WITHOUT stretching. For me that is a custom wetsuit (same price as a stock suit). I got mine from these guys:

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

All the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom