Wet Suit for Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gldnrm01

Registered
Reaction score
i'm 6"4", 270 lb.s, and 30 pounds heavier than last year (don't ask, am working on it) and do most of our diving during June - July in So. Florida. i have never used a wet suit before but have worn lycra or a rashguard at times. Was only a little cold one time down in the Keys doing the Spiegel Grove.

Would like to start diving in April and May when the water temp. is a little cooler thus the need for a wet-suit. World Water Sports/Diver's Direct reccomends a 3 mil shorty with a front zipper. Their sizes only go up to a 3X which doesn't fit.

What would You reccomend? Where can i find (internet?) a size that fits, reasonably priced, brand, quality, etc.? Thanks!

This one doesn't zip up the front, but it does size up to a 4x:

Mens Henderson Hyperstretch 3 Mil Shorty

You can find it at Scubatoys.com. I'll be diving Florida, too, and this is the suit I'm looking at as well. It's a bit pricey, but the hyperstretch feature seems worth it to me especially because my weight tends to fluctuate from year to year.

gldnrm01:
i'm 6"4", 270 lb.s, and 30 pounds heavier than last year (don't ask, am working on it) and do most of our diving during June - July in So. Florida. i have never used a wet suit before but have worn lycra or a rashguard at times. Was only a little cold one time down in the Keys doing the Spiegel Grove.

Would like to start diving in April and May when the water temp. is a little cooler thus the need for a wet-suit. World Water Sports/Diver's Direct reccomends a 3 mil shorty with a front zipper. Their sizes only go up to a 3X which doesn't fit.

What would You reccomend? Where can i find (internet?) a size that fits, reasonably priced, brand, quality, etc.? Thanks!

I am not sure it it will be enough with regards to the temperature of the water, you might want to consider 0.5mm wetsuit. If you want something with better insulation, you might get the ones with titanium? I have been told that with though only at 0.5mm, the fact that it has added-titanium, it provides the insulation performance of 2mm. This may make a good choice as you won't need to add much more weight as you didn't dive with wetsuit in the previous condition.

a few brands which I know of that has 0.5mm wetsuit: ScubaPro. Ripcurl (comes with titanium).

Could also take a look at Pinnacle Shadow (1mm with titanium).

hope this helps..........

I'm 6'2" and wear the 3 mil Akona in a 4x and it fits fine. It's just right when diving in the Crystal Spring area where the water is 72. Hope this gives you something to compare to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom