Wet or dry for So Cal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'll be spending a fair amount of my diving time in So Cal this year. I'm replacing my cold water exposure suit, and I'm trying to make a decision whether to go wet or dry given that whatever suit I buy will most like see action only in So Cal, since at home (Arizona), in Mexico and in the Caribbean, I use a warm water wet suit.

Since I'm not too familiar with the diving sites in So Cal yet, I can't say exactly what my diving plans are (if that would affect opinions). However, at the extreme end of activities, I'll probably be doing deeper dives and some wreck diving.

With this in mind, are the waters in So Cal cold enough to warrant the investment in a drysuit, or is a 7mm wetsuit sufficient? I don't mind spending the money on a drysuit, but if the only real benefit of going dry is that....I'll be dry at the end of the dive, then I'm just as happy going wet. However, if the water is sufficiently chilly that I'll be wishing I bought a drysuit, then I'd rather go dry.

Thanks in advance for opinions.

Azatty,

The water temps in socal waters tend to be a little on the balmy side. :D

This time of year you will generally find mid to upper 50s for the most part, with the exception of possibly the San diego area, where they might be in the low 50s.

Mid to late summer the water temps climb into the 60s in most socal areas (again San Diego is normally a little chillier).

I have seen many a divers going dry and I am sure more would follow suit if they could afford it. I personally get wet with a 7 mil, and will use it for the months of Dec. thru May. Once the water temp reaches high 50s I go to a 3 mil farmer john.

If you can afford it, go for it. Nitrox helped with the after-dive fatigue. The dry suit definitely got rid of it. I always feel great after a dive, and that's especially important if you do any sort of gorilla diving.

Also, I have been told that the thermocline is around 135 ft right now, which is not a problem for rec diving. It should go up to 80 ft pretty soon. I did not experience it, yet, but apparently the bottom temp can drop to 40°.

Most of the dry divers I know use their suit year-round.

The only downside is the pleasant weather we have here. Sweat can be an issue, especially when diving from the shore.

As a drysuit diver that does most of his diving in SD i would say your gonna want the drysuit.

you stated that your going to do some deep diving. i have dove SD and the water temp below 100' was in the low to mid 40s. i would plan in the winter in SD to get between 45-60 degrees. if your doing multiple dives then thats even more of a reason to go dry.

Bob3 has great prices on drysuits and for the few hundred extra dollars your paying over a nice wet suit its worth it.

i have not used a wet suit in so Cal in 10 years. I will never dive wet again ( P valve failure not included):).

Andy

think about boat dives off SD and your SI between dives. Why not be warm, comfortable and dry all day. Have santa put a drysuit in your stocking this year :)

I've done several liveaboard trips there using a 7mm wetsuit with a hooded vest with no real problems.

Then I switched to a drysuit, and enjoyed it even more. Staying dry and, most importantly, warm between dives is wonderful.

If you do get a drysuit, a p-valve is invaluable.

Dry! Much more versatile investment down the road too. I bought a really nice 7mm hooded wetsuit, its ok, but wish I had put the money towards a drysuit.

mike

ps-I'm already saving for that drysuit, even tho the wetsuit is only about a year old.

i got my first drysuit about 10 yrs ago and i paid a alot for it. Prices are much more reasonable now, you can get a nice suit for under a $1000.

Andy

Southern Cali = Dry Suit

=-)

I believe you would benefit from a dry suit (never dove one) for the reasons above. However, my wife and I both dive wet (7mm 2-piece) and we manage fine. Once it gets <55 deg F my wife's hands get cold ... got her a new glove and I'm hoping it will help :). Summer time we dive with a one-piece and we are very comfortable. In other words - you can get by with a 2-piece wetsuit and don't have to have a dry suit to dive SoCal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom