Western US/CA Road Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm planning a camping/diving road trip this coming summer. My main destination will be British Columbia and Puget Sound, but I may also get into SE Alaska, Oregon, and maybe California.

Some of the possible dive sites I'm thinking of include: Crater Lake and Clear Lake OR, Prince Rupert BC, Browning Pass BC, Nanaimo, Ketchikan AK, Yellowstone NP, and anywhere in between. Maybe as far south as Monterrey.

One of the main limitations to diving these sites is that I'm lacking a dive buddy (I don't like diving alone). The trip is still in the planning phase, so I'm flexible. If you might like to join me on part or all of it, or have a dive site you've been wanting to try -- but couldn't find a buddy -- please give me a shout.

glenn

You don't list the Seattle area on your itinerary, but give us a shout if you are around here.

Browning Pass is mind-blowing diving, but requires that you either do a liveaboard (not sure if there still is one) or book with one of the two resorts up there. They book up quickly, so if you are planning on that, make your reservations. It's God's Pocket or Browning Pass Hideaway, and I would recommend the former, if you can afford it.

Hi Lynn(e),

You bet! Thanks for the ping. I'd love to dive with you and the Seattle gang.

I'm 60South over on the NWDC board. Until last year I was living in Port Townsend, diving with Dusty and others. Pt Hudson, Keystone and Norrander's were always so good I hardly ever hopped over to the Seattle side. Now I'm in Colorado-- and there ain't no water here. Argh! It would be idyllic if the ocean lapped up against the Rockies...

Reservations are a sticky issue for me because my schedule is, um, fluid? That said, YES, if I know when I'm going to be near God's Pocket, Browning Pass, Quadra, or Egmont, and a spot is available, I'm all over it!

glenn

I fantasize about doing that trip. Crater Lake is awesome! There is also a submerged nuclear missile silo called TITAN somewhere there that should be on your list.

Reactions: g2
Lock up your daughters! My diving road trip is ON. :D

Join me at Browning Pass Hideaway July 1-4. The US$-CDN$ exchange rate is in your favor!

...Also trying to schedule diving in Nanaimo and Campbell River, BC, along the way there or back (TBD).

...In Port Townsend, WA, the last half of June.

...Still interested in diving Crater Lake, OR. Perhaps around June 4-7 or July 21-25? I need a buddy for that. And a helicopter would be a definite plus.

...Would consider Yellowstone, too, but it will take some finagling. Early June or late July time frame.

...And somehow, some way, I'll make it to Seattle for a Thursday dive. Objective: show me a lumpsucker!

Anybody want to do Clear Lake, Oregon? Say the word and we'll figure it out.

Please PM me if you'd like to dive this summer. Seriously.

glenn

The NPS no longer permits diving at Crater Lake. Well bummer.

Hard to find lumpsuckers in the summertime, but we can try! I won't be around the last half of June, though. I work the 17th through the 20th, and take off the 22nd for Loreto.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom