West Frankfort, Illinois

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I recently discovered some long lost relatives in West Frankfort, Illinois whom I anticipate visiting with in the year, possibly next spring or summer.

I recognize that it it not too distant from Mermet Spring dive operation in Metropolis

Are there any active divers residing in West Frankfort, Illinois ?

SDM

I recently discovered some long lost relatives in West Frankfort, Illinois whom I anticipate visiting with in the year, possibly next spring or summer.

I recognize that it it not too distant from Mermet Spring dive operation in Metropolis

SDM
Hey Sam,
I sure there has to be a diver or two there, but hey, I'll meet up with you at Mermet anytime(my favorite midwest site). I'd love hear some of your stories and pick your brain in person.

If I Google-mapped correctly, might be interesting that you won't be terribly far from Bonne Terre mine, where people do guided dives of a flooded mine. I've never made it out there, but there are reviews on the Internet, which basically reflect that it's a novelty experience.

Richard.

If I Google-mapped correctly, might be interesting that you won't be terribly far from Bonne Terre mine, where people do guided dives of a flooded mine. I've never made it out there, but there are reviews on the Internet, which basically reflect that it's a novelty experience.

Richard.
Very much so. I dove Bonne Terre, no plans to go back. Now if Sam wanted to dive the mines, I consider it just to BS with him!

Mermet is a good weekend visit. Bonne tere is a bit longer drive

SDM

Where do you fly into, Chicago or St. Louis? If you can detour to Chicago for a few days there is a very active Lake Michigan dive community, especially wreck dives; @Marie13 could give you more information. You could check out the link below for more info:

Great Lakes Wrecking Crew

@Scuba J7
Picking my brain won't take too long..perhaps 15 minutes or so --.but I might have a story or two...

I had hoped to visit with Glen at Mermet and set up an evening program- I have a number power point programs in the "can" as they say in Jollywood when a picture is completed. All the PP have historical aspect to them on events, equipment, and friends who were either participants or witness to the making of our current diving history. It maybe shocking to some but there was several generations of diving before PADI.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@drrich2

My wife Betty and I last visited Cozumel about 30 years ago...It was becoming too commercial and too crowded even at that early date for us-- we always attempted to remain ahead of the wave of dive locations popularity.

We had a great time with two Bonne Terre mine guides so many years ago. They had never dove open water, but were very comfortable in the salt water open ocean and for some unknown reason perhaps by natural selection we buddied up with them for most of the week.

The word had got out among the staff and other vacation divers that we were not typical Cozumel vacation divers

On the very last day of our visit we had made several dives and were underway to the second and last shallow dive site of our week long vacation.

I speak Spanish and had been speaking "Spanlish" all week with the crew. I inquired in Spanish as to how long to the next dive site ? Their reply in Spanish "45 minutes."

I returned to my seat along the gunnels informed my wife and our week long buddies buddies that we had 45 minutes to relax

Then I said what the heck ? Why not ? So I said " You are from the Missouri the 'Show Me State' - I will show you-- Pull out your dive bags start fiddling with your equipment" which they did. Soon the entre boat of divers were pulling out there dive bags, preparing their equipment and putting on their wet suits

As soon as every one was fully prepared to dive we shoved out bags under the seat and resumed out conversations for another 40 or so minutes to we arrived at the last dive site.

Some started chuckling that they had been had others were so hot the deck was steaming .

At the end of the dive and our vacations the Missourians insisted that it would be their honor to carry our equipment to our room for packing - Who could refuse that offer ?

We will never forget those two Missourians from Bonne Terre and the fun we had !

I suspect you have a professional name for events such as this...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@KathyV
Thank you so much for the information and invite.

Mrs. Miller and I have a several months travel trailer road trip across the top of the US and the bottom of Canada to visit all the national parks all the way to Nova Scotia, then to Gettysburg and if all possible other civil war battle grounds.

We spent a week in Chicago vacationing with with some travel friends several years ago. At that time we all discovered we were not big city people, so we will zoom on by to Southern Illinois aka Little Egypt and West Frankfort to unite with relatives and a possible day or so at Mermet

Then meander towards the sunset in the west..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you all individually and collectively for your interest and responses

Cheers from CenCal

Sam Miller,111

I am in Missouri, but may be up for a return trip to Mermot, depending on the timing.

Lobo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom