West Bay Express - a one-way scooter dive (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech Cayman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thought you might enjoy our most recent video.

The West Bay Express is one of Divetech's signature dives. You and a dive guide jump in from our Lighthouse Point shore location, and ride the scooter as far as you can. Once done, you get picked up buyby the dive boat that's been following you. This 90 second video shows the highlights of this awesome dive.

Tony

My son and I did the West Bay Express twice with Divetech while they were still at Cobalt Coast. We used Apollo/Tusa riding scooters rather than the Subgravity Aqua Props. These were definitely great dives, I would recommend very highly.

It's all based on air consumption. The batteries will last for ~3 hours on low power and ~2 hours on full power.
What are the max depths people see during this dive?

Looks like they made up to Coconut Bay/Macabucca. Looks like fun.

Our trips in 2007 and 2008 were limited by the battery of the Apollo DPVs. In 2007, we went from Sand Chute to Texas Hole/Big Dipper. The dive was 63 minutes, max depth 105 feet, much of it shallower. In 2008, we went from Cobalt Coast to Lighthouse Point, 73 minutes, max depth 68 ft, avg depth 41 feet. I would love to do the West Bay Express on the new scooters, limited by gas or deco time. You see the most amazing things where folks rarely dive, between sites....

Looks fun. Do you do this most days of the week? What is the rate? Any special training?

What are the max depths people see during this dive?

Generally people stay on the mini wall, so max depths tend to get no deeper than 60 feet. But you don't need to, you could follow the main wall as well. The peaks of the coral heads on the main wall get as high as 40 feet, so you don't need to be deep out there either.

you see the most amazing things where folks rarely dive, between sites....

This is why I love the scooters. Some of the best diving is between dive sites. The mini wall gets really cool in between Lighthouse Point and Lighthouse Ledges - people rarely dive there.

Looks fun. Do you do this most days of the week? What is the rate? Any special training?
It's based on availability. You just need a minimum of 2 people to go out.

Back
Top Bottom