Went to my first callout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Get a call at 1pm saturday and we have a call out in berkeley at an aquatic park. I'm not told what we are looking for, but it takes me about an hour to get my stuff, get gas, and drive 30 miles to where i'm going. I get there, 3 divers are already in the water putting the chain on the partially submerged vehicle.

they put a chain on it, towers pull it out and we all check it out. there is a cell phone, phone bill, lots of water bottles and a drivers license pretest. Registration is from out of state, but PD calls the phone numbers and finds out the registered owner is going to school in the area. I'm guessing that a fine resident of oakland, CA stole the car, took the dmv test and got rid of it in a lake. We found the car with a water bottle in between the brake and accelerator pushing down the pedal.

I show up, sign in, and less than 30 minutes later i leave.

wow none closer than 30 Min's and you all don't have gear or a truck with your gear, question is it a new public safety diver group and if so what level training?

wow none closer than 30 Min's and you all don't have gear or a truck with your gear, question is it a new public safety diver group and if so what level training?

umm, translate? Proper English would be great?

OK you want to be a jerk,
simple, was none was closer than 30 Min's?

you don't have gear with you?
you don't have gear on a truck?

I don't think he meant to be a jerk at all. You have to admit the sentence was a tad long/confusing.

I'm guessing there were others that were closer. He said when he arrived there were already three in the water. That said, you never know exactly what the deal is until you arrive.

was none was closer than 30 Min's?

you don't have gear with you?
you don't have gear on a truck?

I'm not sure when other people got there, but i got there an hour after i got the call out, and there were 3 divers in the water, and about 15-16 other divers that were watching from the surface. I'm guessing that I was one of the last persons to get the call. To get to the call out today, i have to take 4 freeways to go 30miles, and the traffic in the bay area sucks, a lot worse than florida. Berkeley is about as far as our county extends away from my house.

No, i dont keep my gear with me all the time. We are a search and recovery, not a search and rescue team. Unless i'm away for some reason, i rarely more than 20minutes away from home. I'd wrather have my gear safe at home, than in the back of my truck waiting to get stolen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom