Went Fossil Diving in Charleston!!! WOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZenDiver.3D

Rejecting Reality
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
So there I was. At Monk's Corner, on the Cooper River. We drove about two hours from Savannah and it had been doing nothing but storming. So, 7:45 this am, we took off on the pontoon boat. Me, daughter 10 years old, son 13 years old, another woman and her son 17 years old. We were told that this is fighting into strong current black water diving. kneepads are mandatory!! I had never done something like this, and was excited.
We had to tether together or all would have been ripped apart. No problem. The first fifteen minutes, we found three megaladon teeth- all the size of my open hand! Beautiful. We did four dives at different sites around the river. We ended up with 26 whole megaladon teeth, whale rib fossils, stingray, what looked like mammoth bone fossils.... 28 more shark tooth fragments.... An awesome day! Unfortunately, the other two quit after the first dive and they didn't find anything. But my crew had a blast!

Now, Bill, at Off The Wall Diving, told us what it's like, everyone knew it was an intense, adrenaline filled dive, to begin with. It was. And Sooo much fun. Allgators sunned themselves on the banks, dolphins came checking us out, we even found flounders, crabs, shrimp, and catfish down there. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to dive from Savannah, Hilton Head, SC.....

So here's his link. Bill made it a great day. Top notch. Off The Wall Charters

That sounds really cool. I hope to make a trip with them sometime.

I highly suggest it. Just remember, that this is a work ing dive. you are against strong current, in the dark, and 1 foot vis. Be prepared to tether to your buddy, and then overweight big time. It is an adrenaline filled dive, and so much fun. You drop in, find the gravel beds and start picking. it is fantastic. Especially when you bring up the big meg teeth. I also found whale bone fossils and other stuff. I highly suggest it to those divers who aren't locked in to a crystal clear floaty dive. This dive has a goal. You come up with what we did, and the day is made! Have fun, and give it a go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom