Well, this is gonna be interesting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stretchthepenn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a bit in shock, but I just did it... I bought a used Choptima (2020 model) with a NERD controller and HUD. The price was right, and it's only been used for about 15 hours, so it looks to be in great condition. This is gonna be a brand new adventure.

Anybody with Choptima experience wanna share tips before I launch myself into the unknown?

Also, I'm in the ATL area, so if y'all know of good instructors in the area, feel free to shoot names my way. My dive buddy plans on getting a similar unit sometime before terribly long, and we're gonna need training.

You'd be far better off going to cave country and getting one of those guys to train you. Ted McCoy would be my first call on that unit since he is one of the ones that invented the thing and is one helluva instructor.

You'd be far better off going to cave country and getting one of those guys to train you. Ted McCoy would be my first call on that unit since he is one of the ones that invented the thing and is one helluva instructor.
Seconded

I did the exact same thing late last year. Bought a nearly-new 2020 model and had Dive Rite service and upgrade the unit (MAV, counterlung connections, etc). Being from FL, I found an instructor that was an early-adopter and cave diver who I knew would put me through the ringer on the unit (being an OC cave diver, I wanted an instructor I could grow with when the time comes to do CCR cave).

It’s going to be a completely different experience. The first day of the class (outside of the pool sessions) I was struggling so much I almost quit the class. I HATED it. By the second day, I started to feel more comfortable and it was finally starting to click. By the end of the class, I couldn’t imagine diving OC ever again (slightly joking obviously). Bottom line, give yourself time to appreciate the complexities of CCR diving and embrace the suck. You’ll love it once you get comfortable on the unit. And as others have already said, having a great instructor can make or break your experience.

I'm a bit in shock, but I just did it... I bought a used Choptima (2020 model) with a NERD controller and HUD. The price was right, and it's only been used for about 15 hours, so it looks to be in great condition. This is gonna be a brand new adventure.

Anybody with Choptima experience wanna share tips before I launch myself into the unknown?

Also, I'm in the ATL area, so if y'all know of good instructors in the area, feel free to shoot names my way. My dive buddy plans on getting a similar unit sometime before terribly long, and we're gonna need training.
I recommend Chris Brock, in Lake City, FL. I just took my Chop course from him in March, and it went great. Being in Lake City, he also has great access to the Dive Rite factory where your Choptima was born and can probably get you a good deal on the latest upgrades to pimp out your unit (like the QC6 for the dil side and a pull dump to replace the bulky drysuit style dump for the counterlung). You may even want to drop your unit off at the factory after your class to have its annual servicing (and save money on shipping in one direction).
Chris also turned me on to a mounting configuration that does not require you to modify your harness to wear the unit. This was really great because I was not looking forward to having to add high shoulder D rings to 3 or more different harnesses (for sidemount, backmount, etc.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom