Well just ordered a brand new oly 5050 and pt015 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mk57nato

Contributor
Reaction score
Well after reading all the posts and reviews and the brain swell from to much info, went ahead and jumped in the deepend.
Just ordered my brand spanking new oly 5050 from buydig :bounce: and since i ordered the camera it means i need a housing so just ordered the pt-015 housing from 17photo :bounce:
So now i just have to wait till they come in and i will have new toys to play with :bounce:
Thanks for all the posts and info on the oly and housing everyone made this a relatively painless decision and after it finally comes in i will have to get it wet and post my first crappy pics with it (untill i get used to it of course :54: )

I picked my 5050 up at Beach Camera yesterday.....................all because of lurking around here for the past week......reading all the comments and advice from various people......many thanks........................picking up housing to-day......hopefully a strobe and all the other bits and pieces tomorrow................Bahamas next week......bye bye snow.......again thanks a lot........R

Welcome to the cult :biggrin:! You will love your new camera, be sure to share your photos!

ciao

Well just got them. funny enough that both the camera and the housing showed up at the same time, even though i couldent wait so i ordered the camera fedex2 day service from buydig, and used fedex saver from 17th street photo....
It feels like christmass :bounce:
Wow very nice camera, especially compared to my pos hp612(hey it was my first digital and got a great deal on it so it became my tester into digital)
Couldent wait to play so put the batts on the charger, which i think is really nice that you get a charger and nimh batts with the cam. so i threw in some new energizers just so i could play.... Wow lots of features to play with.
Also i cant belive how quick it will suck regular batts dry, glad i have alot of rechargables(had more laying around but hadent charged them..duh..)
I didnt expect this cam to be a video cam, but i do like the movie mode.
Playing with resolutions, wow you can fill a card quick in shq expanded mode, or tiff(using the included 32m xd, plus one of my 128m cf laying around guess i will have to use my 512 from my mp3) but now i have another reason to get that 2gig cf card ive been wanting. Maybe even get 2, one for the cam and one for my mp3 but then i will have cf cards laying around everywhere...hmmmm spares maybe
i really like the panoramic mode, will have to get a tripod so i can do some nice ones. although i was able to hold it still and level enough that it did stitch correctly.
heh now that im done playing with it for now(killed the batts), guess i will read the manual to see what functions i havent figured out yet.... "ahhhh reveal your mysteries to me" (zoidberg qoute)
I can definately see this will take me a while to figure out all the buttons, but hey thats the fun of a new toy!

About the housing... Wow very nice. Although this is my first underwater housing and i have nothing to compare it with.(did rent a videocam for catalina once, damm thing wouldent work. used magnetic switches, worked on land but quit when we got in the water? so that was a bust)

I love that i have access to all the camera buttons with this housing, i really like the double seal. The metal threads for lenses are nice also(although i have no clue as to the size yet, or which lenses to get)
Im curious about the flash diffusor, does everybody leave theirs on? it seems like it would really weaken the flash.(guess thats why for external strobes) but is it also to reduce backscatter.

All in all i am very happy so far, like a kid in a candy store. :bounce:
Now i just need to sit down and actually RTFM. So i will know more, then i need to get it wet :bounce:

yes i understand this is old hat to all of you, but hey its new for me and im happy and excited :bounce:

If you add additional lenses later, they'll be 67mm in size. That's the size of your lens port.

The Oly internal flash is very powerful, I usually reduced the strength for macro shots. Leave your diffuser on. It's purpose is to diffuse that powerful light which spreads it out into a larger pattern and prevents ugly sharp shadows.

Take a look at this ---->thread in the Tips forum. It's a collection of websites with Oly info that will help answer alot of the questions you're going to have.

mk57nato:
Also i cant belive how quick it will suck regular batts dry, glad i have alot of rechargables(had more laying around but hadent charged them..duh..)

I did the same thing when I got mine and was very concerned about battery life. The rechargables last a lot longer.

Randy

Welcome to the oly family. I am sure you will have much fun with the camera, like all of us do.
Aloha, Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom