Well hello there folks..... (Don't get up!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaleForceEight

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there, just thought I would say a few words to introduce myself.

I am new to all of this, though I did my PADI open water and advanced open water back when Pontius was still a Pilate, life took me in a different direction than under the water and it is time to start learning again.

We are getting into this as a family - my wife and daughter (17) wanted to learn and my son (8) is enthusiastic too, and I was surprised to find that my old qualifications remain valid; I know people who could write a thesis on changing lightbulbs, but give them a blown bulb and stepladder I wouldn't trust them to attempt the job - so I am well aware that having a 'qualification' on paper (I think mine was actually on papyrus or a wax tablet) does NOT assume competency, and I am effectively starting from scratch! I was pleasantly surprised to pick up a PADI RDP chart and be able to use it (and explain it) though - which was nice!

So having minimal (and no recent) experience I intend read and absorb information; these forums have a huge well of experience so I'll be lurking in the background and occasionally lifting my head to ask a question if I have a burning desire to be made fun of! Hopefully you guys will appreciate that if/when I ask a question that sounds daft it is because either I genuinely don't know the answer and the search function has failed me, or I am asking the wrong question because I don't know what the right one to ask is!

Best regards,

David

Welcome. You may well find it worthwhile to do at least a scuba tune up course, or just repeat an open water course if you've been dry that long. Hope you guys have a great time diving.

I have met quite a few families doing the diving thing together. I think it's fantastic. Happy diving to y'all.

Welcome. You may well find it worthwhile to do at least a scuba tune up course, or just repeat an open water course if you've been dry that long. Hope you guys have a great time diving.

Absolutely! I am joining in as a refresher while Sam and Anna are doing their open water courses, and since we are going to be in UK waters I'll be learning to drysuit as part of it, and the instructors are also club members so even after the qualifications are there we will still be diving with experienced people!

I have met quite a few families doing the diving thing together. I think it's fantastic. Happy diving to y'all.

Thank you, and we are looking forward to it! Robert is only 8 so he is on the 'bubble maker' programme. He can swim reasonably well and we've been playing underwater games in the pool since he was 4, so he has the confidence to start with - I hope he enjoys it as much as I think he will.

Welcome and enjoy! It's a great thing to have any activity that the whole family enjoys, especially scuba.

Hello GaleForceEight and welcome SB and back to diving! I hope that you and the family enjoy lots of fun and safe dives together!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom