Welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a Cold Water Barbarian (Cozumel? Florida? Blech!) I'm very interested in learning more about UK diving. I was all slated to go this year, but circumstances relating to 9-11 stopped that, so I'm shooting for '03.

I know Tibbs (I think) from the DIS-UK list.

Finished Full Cave and Normoxic trimix, along with equipment service and gas blender (busy year). Now I'm putting together my own trimix station. I'm also getting the hang of using v-planner.

Anyway, if you don't mind, I'd like to hang out and learn more about UK diving, tech diving in particualr, and maybe arrange some dives when the time comes.

Thanks and dive safe
Brock

The more the merrier!

I am on DIS-UK list. I'm the Fat Handed Tw*t (see Smack the Pony for a full explanation) who keeps mailing about breaking things. At the mo I've got my twins in for a leaking manifold, my drysuit in for a new neckseal (and a new drysuit on the way!) and my Pro6 is going in tomorrow to have a replacement cable put in.

Ask away - can't promise I'll give the right answers, but answers you'll get!

Chris Tibble AKA Tibbs the FHT.
(Based in Bournemouth)

<extra bit>

Just out of interest - what conservatism setting are you using on V-Planner, or do you do it on nil and add your own?

</extra bit>

and I thought I drove John Grogan nuts. Oh well, these days I just ask Stuart.

Re Vplanner. Right now, since Ive yet to load the latest upgrade, it is set on 2. My question, and I don't think Ive gotten an answer yet, is how to deal with swimming decos in caves. Setting it at 2 seems to allow for that, but if some of the experts have a better idea, I'd like to know about it

Last thing I saw on v-planner list was a report of a bug in the upgrade. You know anything more on this?

Re drysuits

I'm on # 4. Ive had, in order a

Polar Bear (leaked)
Posiedon Unisuit Commercial (warm but heavy as all get out)
Viking Xtreme. Great suit, but by the time I loaded up on undies to stay warm I could not move.
Finally, Northern Diver Compressed Neo Tech suit. All the goodies and custom undies. Now I'm good for 2 hours in 50 degF caves. This ones a keeper.

I like the Dis group, even though my use of OMS wings and a Steel 100% bottle (cave only- aluminum in ow) makes Izzy's skin crawl.

So what are your favorite dives and how's the work up to 35m coming along?

Dive safe
Brock

This will be drysuit #2 for me. First was a bargain job - £300 ($450) including valves and undersuit... It's lasted me 7 years which is OK. The rubber is starting to break down now so it'll have to do for a back up now. My new suit is a Gates CBX450, which is looking like becoming the de riguer suit for the DIS/DIR lot!

As for the diving - it's a case of been past 35m on the way to deep air heaven and back again by the grace of God. Last time I went past 35m I did 44.4m on a wreck called the Chateau Yquem. Came up after the dive and couldn't remember a thing about it. I remember descending the shot and arriving back at about 38m, all the rest is a blank. Must confess it scared me witless, and ended my deep air exploits. I'm determined to go back and do it on 21/35 and actually remember it!

Favourite dives?

Difficult choices!

The Hispana in the Sound of Mull
The Brummer in Scapa Flow
Kyara off Swanage
Castle Reagh off Swanage
Swanage Pier
Peveril Ledges (Nice fast drift dive)
LST523 off the Normandy beaches
Most of the Red Sea - Especially night dives on the Gubal Barge and the Thistlegorm.

Those and pretty much every time I get wet!

If you do decide to make a foray across the channel - let us know. We'll organise some great diving for you, though I can't promise the weather!

Tibbs once bubbled...
[. I'm determined to go back and do it on 21/35 and actually remember it!
[/B]

Do that as soon as you can. Last winter I did an experiment. I had 20/35 Back gas and a full bottle of 50% stage rigged. I breathed the 50% to the back of the upper tunnel at Roubidoux, then switched.

The difference was startling. Whereas before it seemed dark and closed in, on switching the tunnel opened up to sights that simply had not registered. Arches, colors, textures, even a new tunnel in the process of being carved.

They has always been there, I just had not noticed them.

I was at 45 feet.

So yes, as soon as finances allow, go to Izzy and yell "I WANT MY TRIMIX!!!"

Have a great weekend and dive safe
Brock

So yes, as soon as finances allow, go to Izzy and yell "I WANT MY TRIMIX!!!"

Amen to that!

It'll be next year before I even get my Adv Nitrox and Deco procedures tickets... When it comes to mixed gases I am well behind the curve. Too many years of Uni diving (all teaching) and Same Ocean Buddy / Deep Air diving.

I really fancy cave diving, and am seriously thinking about financing a trip to Florida for some GUE instruction. Too many of my friends have come back from there with good things to say to ignore for too long...

Chris (Who is getting antsy as he's missing half the dive season because his kit is screwed!)

Back
Top Bottom