Welcome to the Southern BC Spyhoppers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to be apart of the newly formed 'sub club'... BC Spyhoppers!! Hope everyone has a great BC DAY weekend... that includes lots of sunshine and diving!!

NavyDoll

I don't know, but I think it is funny that a group pushed for the the "club" to be formed, then immediately stopped using Scubaboard.

- ChillyWaters

Ironic, isn't it?

GWP,

As it was explained to me by some of the old school locals "spyhopping" is when you are diving in the shallows and instead of navigating by compass or underwater natural nav. alone, one will momentarily pop their head up to get oriented and then duck back down and continue in that direction.

Not something I advocate, but the name does kinda sound cool, right??? :wink:

hello every one I'm new to the board looks like its been awhile since someone was in this area maybe I can spark an interest again lol I live in surrey/vancouver Canada looking for new people to blow bubbles with I'm rescue cert and getting ready to take the dive master coarse soon I'm always up to go for a dive so drop a pm and lets see what happens:14:

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread but what the heck. If memory serves greatwhitepike, spyhopping refers to Orcas when they don't come all the way out of the water to breech but just enough too have a look around.
Hasta luego, Andrew.

Hi All,

Quite a bit of time has passed and I've meant to reply to these last few posts for awhile now. Setting up this "club" was something I thought was very important as a way for lower mainland divers to connect. I was the one who "pushed" for this club although there was certainly enough interest at the time. Shortly after this thread was established (and it took a long time for that to happen) I became very ill and was unable to dive for quite some time. So that is why I suddenly stopped using scubaboard. It's too bad that this thread didn't continue to be used, but I hope that every diver out there who ever needs a buddy can find one some way or another.

Also, Skookumchuck is right about what spyhopping is.

Happy Diving :)

Ironic that you should post now as I witnessed Orcas spyhopping for the first time ever last weekend.

That's fantastic!!! One of the coolest things to see :)

Ironic that you should post now as I witnessed Orcas spyhopping for the first time ever last weekend.

Thanks to Scubandrea, who first requested this new regional forum, it's finally in place. So for all you folks in the lower mainland and Vancouver area, this one's for you!

I hope all you Spyhoppers enjoy your new home!

Hello,
I am looking to do some diving near Victoria, join a group, meet a dive buddy. I am new here, just wondering if I am in the right place : )

Thanks,

Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom