Welcome to my Q and A for Manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gregory Maggiore

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I am Gregory Maggiore

I am a third generation New York State Licensed Optician. I own and operate Leonard Maggiore Opticians which was started by my Grandfather Leonard Maggiore Sr. in 1936 in Bushwick Brooklyn. My Father Leonard Maggiore Jr. (who was a dive in the late 1950's) invented the prescription dive mask in 1959. I started going into work with Dad in 1969. I have worked side by side with my father until his passing in 2013. I have relocated the business from NY to Overland Park KS and operate primarily as a mail order business through my web site www.rxsportoptics.com. I believe making prescription dive mask for past 49 years (and still going) would make me the most experienced active prescription dive mask person.

FYI my avatar is a high myopic astigmatic trifocal executive prescription dive mask. As far as I know I am the only person anywhere who can consistently and successfully make such work.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gregory Maggiore
Leonard Maggiore Opticians est. 1936

Last edited:
Cameron,

I work with 71mm diameter optical glass lens blanks that I fabricate into prescription lenses.

My earliest memories was Dad setting me to work prepping the U.S. Divers Squale mask with the acorn bolt assembly for lens installation.

Your website doesn’t load properly on my iPhone using either Firefox or safari.
Same here on Chrome for iPhone. (7+ with latest updates)

Chrome on my Android did not complete the load either.

So, how does this work? We select a mask type, send you our prescription, you build a mask like our eyeglasses?

@Insta-Gator
Greg has done two of my masks. Highly recommended! The process is this:
1. Get your eyes checked and have your script ready to scan and send.
2. Buy the mask you intend to use.
3. Put the mask on and with a sharpie, dry erase marker, felt tip pen, etc., mark your pupil location on the lens as you look straight ahead. Having a helper is nice for this.
4. Box the mask up, enclose the script with the mask.
5. Call or email Greg and let him know it's coming.
6. Take the mask to the post office and send it.
7. Wait for 7-10 days or so and, after calling to arrange payment, get your mask back.

Greg even answers the phone on weekends. Is incredibly helpful and knows his stuff.
Highly satisfied customer.
One thing I always tell people with prescription masks is about cost. In addition to the cost of the mask the lenses (no matter who does them), will run you about the same price as a good pair of prescription glasses lenses. My last one was 260 + as I recall. Worth every cent.

Last edited:
Does this work with insurance? I understand I would have to pay upfront but has anyone been able to get their vision plan to cover the cost of the lens?

Thanks, Jim. Is this single vision, or bifocals, too?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom