Welcome to DUI!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a question concerning latex seals

After some research, I have been using water soluble silicone spray (100% soluble in water per the MSDS) on the wrist and neck seals of my just purchased, much used by previous owner, Flex 50/50 ... it does seam to have greatly improved their look and feel.
Any problems from this ?

I have a question concerning latex seals

After some research, I have been using water soluble silicone spray (100% soluble in water per the MSDS) on the wrist and neck seals of my just purchased, much used by previous owner, Flex 50/50 ... it does seam to have greatly improved their look and feel.
Any problems from this ?
I have also wondered about that. I've seen divers use silicone spray to lubricate their seals pre dive, rather than use talc. They havn't mentioned any problems.

I have also wondered about that. I've seen divers use silicone spray to lubricate their seals pre dive, rather than use talc. They havn't mentioned any problems.

My understanding is the silicone causes issues with seal replacement (interferes with the adhesion of the glue while attempting to replace the seal).

That said, would the use of ZipSeals remove this concern? From looking at mine, they appear sewn in and glued from behind. I'd think the ease of seal replacement with the ZipSeals (total lack of glue required) would remove this concern.

I understand the glue not sticking with standard silicone spray, but this is a different silicone, food grade that is water soluble and would just wash off with normal soap and water (I started out looking at products that said they were safe for latex seals and then looked up the MSDS info on them and found that they are 100% soluble in water, unlike standard silicone ... MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet)

Hmm.. so if I ordered a new drysuit to reach me by the end of july.. but my custom cut powerstretch undergarment can't be made till september... Do I get a loaner from you guys?! ha ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom