Weird sighting: Purple Velvet Sea Stars along the shore on Maui.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
I have recently noticed a species of Sea Star that never used to be around (at least in my 17 years of diving Maui).

The Purple Velvet Sea Star is a beautiful 5-arm sea star that grows to about 12"-15" in diameter. They have 2 rows of sharp, teeth-like protrusions on the underside. These teeth are biggest closest to the center of the animal. There are also very prominent yellow tube feet between the rows of teeth that they use for propulsion. The top side of the animal is bright purple and has a soft, velvet texture. Some of them have one round ~1/4" spot on top near the beginning of one of the arms.

The first time I ever saw one was over at the Cathedrals on Lanai about 2 years ago. It was down at about 100' and the books indicate that is the normal depth for these creatures. I never saw another one until about three months ago and it was at Palauea Beach in Wailea at a depth of about 20'. Since then I have seen many of them all along the coast as far north as Ulua Beach and as far south as Makena Landing. This leads me to believe they are becoming common all along our south shore. I have seen as many as 4 on one dive now and they are becoming a regular sight. They do not appear to be eating or mating but who knows?

Here are a few photos of them. Does anyone have any ideas why they are suddenly showing up? Have they been doing the same thing on the other islands? I sure would like to know.

6-4-14 Diving Palauea Beach & Makena Landing 023.jpg6-3-14 Diving Palauea Beach & Makena Landing 024.jpg6-10-14 Diving Five Caves & Makena Landing 027.jpg

Oh yes, they are quite pretty! I'll bet you never saw one in shallow water before! It seems like there are getting to be more and more of them. Same thing happened with the Sheriffs Badge Sea Star although they seem to have only moved into Ulua Beach. Fourteeen years of diving here, never saw one. Now they are a regular part of most Ulua Dives. I rarely see them south of that site. Once in a while I find one at Palauea Beach.

Do you know this sea star?

4-21 & 23-14 Diving FC PB & UB 044.jpg4-21 & 23-14 Diving FC PB & UB 021.jpg

I was just at Makena Landing a few days ago and came across two of the Purple Velvet Sea Stars in the open sand in 30' feet of water. Sounds interesting, I'd like to know as well why they are here if they had not been before?

Cheers, Keith

Thanks for the input Keith! Today I found one with six arms at Palauea Beach. There were 5 or 6 there and then I saw four more at Makena Landing later in the day.

Shaka Doug - When I first saw your pics I thought "hey, I have one of those from South Maui." Then I checked and realized it's most likely a Green Linckia (according to Hoover's Book.)
Kayak Snorkel Starfish.jpg

However, I did find a shot of a Sheriff Badge Sea Star from my files...and when I checked the location, sure enough, it's from Ulua.
Sheriff Badge Sea Star-Ulua Beach.jpg

Here is one we found today. This gives you an idea of size perspective and brilliance in coloring. A beautiful sea star for sure!

7-6-14 Diving Makena Landing & Five Caves 051.jpg7-6-14 Diving Makena Landing & Five Caves 050.jpg

We were at Red Hill yesterday and Makena the day before, and these stars were EVERYWHERE! They are definitely beautiful stars with gorgeous deep purple color, but you have to wonder what is bringing them in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom