Weird Moray in Caribbean, St. Kitts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any idea what kind of moray this is? I found it in 10 feet of water on the Atlantic side of the Caribbean Island of St. Kitts. I don't think its a spotted moray, however, it may be a variant of it (most probably a juvenile), I'm not sure. Any Input would be appreciated. I was not able to get a good shot of it due to its location and also the surge in the area. But here are a few shots.

Thanks

IMG_6636.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

First Moray I've ever seen with it's mouth closed, naturally, but the markings look like a Purple Mouth Moray. I'm no Moray expert though, so hopefully someone who is can help. You might post it in the Critter ID forum.

the yellow eyes make me think it's a purplemouth moray too, and the "stripes" on the dorsal fin look right

I too believe this may indeed be a purplemouth moray especially looking at a pic from the Reef Fish ID DVD where the markings look very similar. This is the first of its kind which I've seen through extensive diving in St. Kitts.

Thanks

Another vote for Purple Mouth Moray.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom