Weird issue with Reg after service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron Harmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I have 2 Apeks Black Sapphires, I just had them both serviced prior to a trip to Coz and noticed something strange. When I am at shallow depths (10 to 15 feet) one of the two makes a strange howling sound on inspiration. Also, this part could all just be in my head, but I can't seem to adjust the cracking effort. I have all the way in either direction, doesn't seem to make a difference. Any thoughts?

underlubed oring or missing teflon spacer sometimes can cause it. sometimes it is a balance spring issue, but if it didn't used to occur, can try flipping it to see if it goes away.

Assuming nothing defective or assembled wrong, it sounds like it might not have been tuned correctly, with the adjustment knob trying to compensate for incorrect lever height.

Whistling or howling, in some brands -- Scubapro, for example -- can also be a symptom of an improperly installed or even faulty HP seat, especially given the continued attempt to adjust the second stage . . .

Whistling or howling, in some brands --
Scubapro, for example -- can also be a symptom of an improperly installed or even faulty HP seat, especially given the continued attempt to adjust the second stage . . .
@Aaron Harmon
Sounds like you have two 1st stages, right? Swap 2nd stages and see if the problem follow the 2nds or the 1sts.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to take it back to the service tech and have him double check everything. Ill let you know what he finds

On some regs, a howling sound is actually a vibration harmonic. It comes from the mainspring vibrating against the metal of the adjustment nut. It's why there is often a thin plastic/nylon spacer between the spring and the nut. If the spacer is left out it will sing.
Another cause that was noted on the first Oceanic FDX10's was the mainspring was ground flat on only one end. This also caused vibrations. Until they came out with kits with new springs the tech bulletin suggested flipping the spring so the flat side was against the metal nut and the rounded end contacting the plastic part that was in contact with the diaphragm.
As for the adjustment knob not making a noticeable difference in breathing effort. That's an improper tuning of the stage.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to take it back to the service tech and have him double check everything. Ill let you know what he finds
The alternative is to learn servicing them yourself.
I was instructed doing so at Scubapro Italy back in 1977, and since then I had not allowed anyone to access my SP regulators, except me.
It is my life, if something has to go wrong, I cannot accept this happens for the negligence of someone else.

The alternative is to learn servicing them yourself.
I was instructed doing so at Scubapro Italy back in 1977, and since then I had not allowed anyone to access my SP regulators, except me.
It is my life, if something has to go wrong, I cannot accept this happens for the negligence of someone else.

I began doing the same, years ago, through a local shop, after some particularly shoddy work, in which two successive diaphragms were torn during rebuilds; and they had the gall to want to charge me for the replacements, entirely due to their negligence. They even managed to lose one of my blind plugs.

When I later learned that those tech classes and certifications were obtained over the course of a couple of hours, over doughnuts and Nescafé, at a local Sheraton, that was all I could take . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom