Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdyoda64

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Opening a new dive shop I would like to know where is a good place to weights to sells? I am looking to sell both hard and soft weights.

Thanks
Jon

Back in the 80s I got a presentation from Sea Pearls on their weights by the owner that went something like this.

"We have three different types of diving weights ... lead, coated lead and shot.
If I take this five pound lead weight and toss it at your right foot, you will break a toe and your shoe will get a cut in the leather.
If I take this coated five pound weight and toss it at your left foot, you will still break a toe but your shoe leather will be unmarked."

He then picked up the five pound shot bag and tossed it at my foot without saying a thing and it really startled me ... but made the point. I felt nothing but the weight.

THAT was a clever presentation and I have remembered it for over 30 years!

All that aside, coated or soft weight will be the best for your pool as far as minimizing marking. Molded lead is the cheapest but you really don't want to just mold your own ... the fumes are toxic and the molds that are available today are pretty ugly and leave sharp edges.

While I love the comfort of shot belts, I will not use shot in the pool. The surface of the lead slowly corrodes and leaves a little milky "guck" behind every time and bringing that into the pool just can't be good.

I second SeaPearls.

As we just went thru this with OSHA lead fumes are easily dispatched with a fan and actually at the point lead melts it is not toxic. Additives or contaminants in it thay may be released could be toxic. But the bigger danger than fumes is lead dust. Fumes are so easy to deal with it's almost a non issue. The dust though gets into everthing and can be easily transported. It can be inhaled, asorbed through the skin, eaten if hands are not washed thoroughly, etc.

Jim, how does your post have any relevance to the OP?

I get all of my weights and such from Sea Pearls. Easy company to deal with, lots of variety. The freight can be tricky so be sure to buy smart. I am lucky in that I have 2 other local shops and we work together and buy together and split shipping costs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom