Weights on cam band vs plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife currently uses 10-12 lbs of weight split on her waist and cam band pockets with a soft plate.

I just ordered a 5 lb steel backplate for her.

Any advantages or disadvantages to mounting the remaining 4-6 lbs on the backplate instead of the cam bands ?

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Are they loose weights or why in the pouches? I know several who just zip tie weight blocks to the plate, works great and less bulky then pockets.

I'm a BIG proponent of weight that can be jettisoned. Regulators, BCs, and buddy proximity can always fail. Archimedes Principal never has.
Not sure how concerned to be about 10-12 lbs total being non ditchable by the diver. I guess I could mount the pockets on the bottom of the plate pockets opening down.

The boat provides the weights. If I eliminate the pockets then I have to carry a bag of zip ties and remove/mount everyday. Plus I have been on some boats that use soft weights.

Not sure how concerned to be about 10-12 lbs total being non ditchable by the diver. I guess I could mount the pockets on the bottom of the plate pockets opening down...

I wouldn't be concerned either... unless I had to get to sunshine on one breath. What's wrong with a weight belt... I am a fan of rubber belts used by freedivers.

I wouldn't be concerned either... unless I had to get to sunshine on one breath. What's wrong with a weight belt... I am a fan of rubber belts used by freedivers.

We agree. We hear of very few people who, once they have tried putting a moderate amount of lead on a rubber belt, go back to carrying all their lead on their BC. The rubber belt provides the safety of being easily ditched, it can be moved to a few different positions to enhance comfort (reduce strain on back) and they don't slide around and can automatically compensate for some degree of suit compression at depth.

I am trying to get the weight closer to the lungs and center of the wing. Theory of weight closer to source of buoyancy helps trim and buoyancy control.

I am trying to get the weight closer to the lungs and center of the wing...

Then you need some weight closer to the sides or front of the body. Putting it all behind (when horizontal) tends to flip you on your back. Weights can move front-to-back on the belt AND rubber belts can be moved just below your diaphragm to low on your butt for optimum trim in 3D.

Then you need some weight closer to the sides or front of the body. Putting it all behind (when horizontal) tends to flip you on your back. Weights can move front-to-back on the belt AND rubber belts can be moved just below your diaphragm to low on your butt for optimum trim in 3D.
That sounds like what she does now. 6 lbs in waist pockets at hips, 6 lbs in upper cam band pockets.

Changing to a 5 lb steel plate, are you recommending keeping 6 lbs in the waist pockets at hips ?

She does not like wearing a weight belt.

That sounds like what she does now. 6 lbs in waist pockets at hips, 6 lbs in upper cam band pockets.

Changing to a 5 lb steel plate, are you recommending keeping 6 lbs in the waist pockets at hips ?

She does not like wearing a weight belt.

I suggest being able to drop enough weight to help get you to the surface with nearly full but inoperable tank(s) and your suit compressed to the maximum depth of the dive. This might be interesting to help you answer the question:
Not enough buoyancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom