Weights and weights bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need to buy weights and a bag for them. My strategy would be to go to the local Decathlon shop and buy the cheapest ones. I noticed anyway that there are weights coated in plastic and also a strange model that can be locked without removing the belt, the ones that look like a gum ball in this link. I think the lock is a kind of screw. Shall I just buy the cheapest ones?
Vendita Attrezzature sportive subacquea speleosubacquea e subacquea tecnica

How are you carrying the weights? If you are carrying them in pockets then soft weights are usually more comfortable than hard weights. However soft weights do shed lead which is not good for you or the environment. Hard weights also shed lead but not as much, which is why some weights are plastic coated.

My recommendation is to buy the block weights and spray paint them so they won't leach lead into the environment. Use a light or neon color so if you loose a weight, you can find it quickly. Also a rubber weight belt is better than a nylon one.

I use a nylon belt. Anyway it’s good to know that plastic coated don’t shed lead. I don’t think it would be a big deal considering how much weight I use and how often I dive but anyway...
Thanks

The buckle of my belt is metal, that should be more difficult to break
May I ask why do you say that rubber is better than nylon?

This seems to explain the advantages of rubber belts

In the meanwhile I got these weights
Weight Eleny Mimetico 1kg |

Very comfortable, used in pool training only until now. They have a screw to tighten them to the belt much easier and faster. Also they are much easier to adjust

got a mold coming, going to cast my own. I already cast bullets so i have a lead pot and pile of lead. The prices on these weights are ridiculous. Its like if its used for diving they feel they must inflate the price. I just going to make them if situations arise that i need the lead for bullets I ll melt em down!

I don't know how it works in the US but in Italy and I think in the whole Europe it's incredibly difficult to find lead at a fair price. Waste management is very strictly regulated, nobody sells lead unless you just find the guy round the corner who happens to have lead scrap and sells it to you under the desk. Hunters used to melt their bullets they all complain about how difficult and expensive it is now

its getting that way here as well, there are still sources of lead to be had but you have to be creative and some methods are dangerous. You can reclaim lead from car batteries but you have to mix up a solution to neutralize the acid. My next adventure for lead is going to a friends shooting range and dig up bullets that are in the back stop. I ve done that before. Tire wights used to be a good way top get it but they are all made of other materials now. Anytime i see a pc of lead laying around(usually a tire weight) I pick it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom