weights advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melanie White

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok another question how to figure out weights
I've had 8 dives all at one place in Jamacia but weights were never right was adding air at bottom 2 to 3 times to stay up not to touch bottom
I've also gained weight I was 134 I have been doing heavy weights I am now 155
Last time I used 8 pounds what do you suggest I start with to try for the first dive in September. Then I can figure out after first dive if I need more or less. Planning on diving in swimsuit and rash guard only worse case leggings also.
Thanks

unfortunately it is an impossible question to answer. The only way to know is to do a proper weight check before you get in. Best is to start with the same weight, but you'll likely be overweighted.

unfortunately it is an impossible question to answer. The only way to know is to do a proper weight check before you get in. Best is to start with the same weight, but you'll likely be overweighted.

Okay I'm going to do a shore dive or 2 or 3 the first day we get there because we arrive at 12:30. First dive I'm taking same weight and taking it in small amounts like one pounders. I'm also having hubby take a few more 1 pounders and make sure I can get more or give him some. He can handle more than he needs. For at least 1 dive or so.

Bestest "proper" weight check is to do it when you only have about 500psi in your tank. Make sure you can stay down with a 500psi tank and little to no air in your BC and you will be good to go.

Bestest "proper" weight check is to do it when you only have about 500psi in your tank. Make sure you can stay down with a 500psi tank and little to no air in your BC and you will be good to go.

I can do that on the shore dive thanks

I've read this countless times, but I don't really understand why this is the best way. The air in a full AL80 weighs about 6 lbs. Subtract one pound that should remain in the tank at all times (your 500 psi reserve). That leaves you with 5 lbs of air that you potentially will consume during your dive. You can do a weight check with a full tank, but you just have to add 5 lbs of lead. All divers are overweighted at the beginning of their dive so that they are properly weighted at the end of their dive.

I've read this countless times, but I don't really understand why this is the best way. . . . . You can do a weight check with a full tank, but you just have to add 5 lbs of lead.
Yes, you absolutely can do it that way. Many instructors do just that. I often do, since I want to properly weight students at the beginning of the first dive. Now, I also err on the conservative side, and usually get them properly weighted with a full AL80, then add back 4. If they start getting 'light' toward the end of the dive, I add 1lb the next time, and try again.

I've read this countless times, but I don't really understand why this is the best way. The air in a full AL80 weighs about 6 lbs. Subtract one pound that should remain in the tank at all times (your 500 psi reserve). That leaves you with 5 lbs of air that you potentially will consume during your dive. You can do a weight check with a full tank, but you just have to add 5 lbs of lead. All divers are overweighted at the beginning of their dive so that they are properly weighted at the end of their dive.

It is the "bestest" because it is real world with real gear on a real dive and not just a numbers/math game.

that's what we do. Do your weight check with whatever is in the tanks, then add the amount of weight back that is in the tanks. Doesn't really work for a lot of technical diving since you're hugely overweighted though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom