Weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I'm currently reading the "Doing It Right" book and I have a couple questions. It looks like the cannister light will make you a few pounds more negative on the right side than the left. How do you adjust for that? Weight belt with more weight on the left side? Also, is this book the DIRF textbook?

Your compensate by having just a bit more air on the right side of your wing, its not even close to noticable (at least with NiMh lighting, the SLAs were much heavier and I can't comment on those).

For DIRF, you are required to have "Doing it Right" and the student workbook, which is mostly a copy of the powerpoint presentation with space for taking notes.

Are you considering taking the class?

Hi, yes I'm considering taking the class. I will have to replace some of my equipment with DIR appropriate gear beforehand though.

You should wear the light as far back on the waist belt as possible. This moves the weight onto your back where it is more comfortable than having it hang down. Most of the newer lights today are only about 2 lbs. negative and are not very noticable. For older heavier lights, the gas in the wing will shift as mentioned before.

dlent, in addition to JJ's book, it's very helpful to have Dan Mackay's Dress for Success. That will give you a good overview of the DIR equipment configuration and basics on how to evaluate fit of exposure protection, and how to adjust a harness.

Read the list of required equipment for DIR-F and realize you don't have to be perfectly DIR in every detail to take the class. If you have any concerns about what would or would not be suitable, contact the instructor who will be teaching the class you're interested in. I think you'll find him or her willing to help.

Indeed, they are very willing to help.

The class is worth your time and money, the lessons learned are invaluable. Even if you don't persue cave or technical training, you will become a more aware diver with a new skillset to employ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom