Weighting When Moving from AL80’s to LP85

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jr511

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all— I am currently diving with AL80’s and need about 5 pounds of weight to stay trim with a 7mm suit.

we are heading up to cave country and I am thinking of buying some lp85’s. When making the conversion, from aluminum to steel, should I stick with my weight as is?

You won’t need weight. I’d try to get a drysuit if you can. Otherwise, 3 AL80s rides much nicer in a wetsuit than 2x LP85s does and is arguably safer.

Are you buying new or used 85s? If you are buying used XS tanks (Worthingtons) like mine, it will be like strapping an anvil on your back.

BTW, only using 5 pounds with an AL80 and a 7mm suit is remarkable Do you have other weight, like a SS backplate?

I dove an LP85 (Worthington) twinset on a DSS SS plate and a drysuit with 400g quilted thermals. In our cold waters (freshwater), I need no additional weight...

With Twin AL80s and a 5mm I use 10 lbs. with twin faber lp85s, I don’t use any weight. Both in salt water.

Are you buying new or used 85s? If you are buying used XS tanks (Worthingtons) like mine, it will be like strapping an anvil on your back.

BTW, only using 5 pounds with an AL80 and a 7mm suit is remarkable Do you have other weight, like a SS backplate?

Will be buying new soon— yes it is odd I use so
Little weight in freshwater. No other weights at all. Started with 8 pounds and as my training and diving has continued, 5lb of weight total seems to be the sweet spot with my 7mm.

haven’t done drysuit training yet so will have to stick to wetsuits for now.

Hi all— I am currently diving with AL80’s and need about 5 pounds of weight to stay trim with a 7mm suit.

I'm curious how you can stay down in sidemount (this is the sidemount forum so I assume you're talking sidemount) with a 7 mil suit and two buoyant tanks with only 5 lbs of ballast? If that is accurate, then you are going to sink like a stone in any steel tanks.

I'm curious how you can stay down in sidemount (this is the sidemount forum so I assume you're talking sidemount) with a 7 mil suit and two buoyant tanks with only 5 lbs of ballast? If that is accurate, then you are going to sink like a stone in any steel tanks.

♂️

I’m a pretty fit guy, but yes, 5 lbs with a pair of al80’s and I’m good even towards the end of the dive.

♂️

I’m a pretty fit guy, but yes, 5 lbs with a pair of al80’s and I’m good even towards the end of the dive.
Amazing! If you don’t mind.... tell us about your kit... older 7mm? BPW? In addition, what does your fit body weight?

Back
Top Bottom