Weighting problem...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecDiver1990

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone...so I was able to upgrade and score a LP 14 for drysuit inflation, but I'm finding that I still need weight to stay down with a drysuit, especially towards the end of a dive, so I'm wondering where everyone keeps their weight if they need it and ideas on what I might need to do to on my rig.

I'm setup with an AL backplate, 60 lb wing, harness, Twin Faber LP 95's, 11lb. V-Weight, Luxfer LP 14 Drysuit bottle, Light Monkey 21W HID, and usually 1 or 2 AL 80's (sometimes more, sometimes less). I have all SP Mk25/S600 regs, Halcyon Pres. Gauge, 2 SP Tec 2G's, a few reels, Lift Bag/SMB, Notebook, and 3 backup lights (1 on each shoulder strap and 1 in my thigh pocket with my notebook.)

Any ideas?

Thanks

That about all I could do? ANd who's got the best prices?

Steel plate for sure. Extreme Exposure has one for $75 right now in their clearance section if you want cheap. Halcyon or DSS make really nice ones. The cheap ones tend to be 5lbs. The nice ones tend to be 6lbs.

Channel weights can work to add a pound or two.

You can throw a 2lbs soft weight in your pocket in a pinch, but it's not really a long-term solution (or one for any dive where you *must* stay down).

The west coasties tend to use a weight belt under the crotch strap.

Unfortunatly, DSS plates are a bit of a minus. I personally would not recommend them for doubles if you ever plan on doing a bit of travel. The bend in the center channel of DSS plates is pretty shallow which causes issues on doubles with shorter or medium length bolts.

Having to stand on your tanks, or worse getting to a divesite and finding your plate wont fit on them is never fun.

If you are looking for a bit extra non-ditchable weight, and aren't into wearing a weight belt, you can put some soft-weights in your undergarment pockets (if they have them)

Unfortunatly, DSS plates are a bit of a minus. I personally would not recommend them for doubles if you ever plan on doing a bit of travel. The bend in the center channel of DSS plates is pretty shallow which causes issues on doubles with shorter or medium length bolts.

Having to stand on your tanks, or worse getting to a divesite and finding your plate wont fit on them is never fun.

If you are looking for a bit extra non-ditchable weight, and aren't into wearing a weight belt, you can put some soft-weights in your undergarment pockets (if they have them)

Carry the correct size bolts and there will be no issue. The DSS plates work great for doubles. DSS makes fantastic bolt on weights for their backplates. Otherwise, just get a weightbelt.

Lol carry the correct size bolts? Come on. I used at LEAST three sets of doubles while I was in Italy this past summer. Who has time for swapping out bolts on tank bands? That's silly.

Faber tanks are way light compared to other manufacturer similar sized tanks. I use Worthington 108's and a six pound steel plate and that's more than enough weight for the dive. In Faber 108's and my six pound steel plate, I get a little floaty towards the end of the dive. Try ditching the Faber tanks in favor for tanks are are more negative when empty and that should go a long way towards solving your problem. If you don't want to do that, then get a v-weight and see if that helps.

Keep the Fabers, get a steel plate and add v-weight to plate. You just added 13 pounds to your rig!!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom